Saturday 9

 

Don't Rain on My Parade

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love to answer the questions, however, and here is today's questions!

Saturday 9: Don't Rain on My Parade (1968)

Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.

 1) Is rain expected where you are today?

I'm writing this on Friday. It rained all day yesterday but it’s starting to clear today,

2) In this song, Barbra Streisand warns everyone to not spoil her optimistic mood. What is something you're feeling really good about today?

I'm fixing up my patio to make it my personal summer spot, and I like what I've done so far.
 
3) She sings that life is candy and the sun is a ball of butter. Which have you consumed more recently, candy or butter?

Candy. I was in the pharmacy the other day and they had leftover Easter candy at 75% off...

4) This song is from the musical Funny Girl. It's based on the true story of Fanny Brice, who starred on Broadway, in movies and on the radio between 1910 and 1951. At the beginning of her career, no one thought she would succeed because of her unconventional looks, but she forged ahead, saying, "I make things happen for me." Are you focused, like Fanny?

Not as focused as I would like to be.

5) When the stage version of Funny Girl was in pre-production, the part of Fanny was offered to actress Anne Bancroft, but she felt the songs were too difficult for her. Singer Eydie Gorme dropped out when told her husband, Steve Lawrence, could not play the male lead. Carol Burnett said she'd love to do it, but also admitted she thought she was wrong for the role. Running out of time and options, producer Ray Stark decided to give lesser-known Barbra Streisand a try ... and the rest, as they say, is history. Has there ever been a time in your life when you were glad things didn't work out as you'd originally planned?

When I accepted a job offer in February 2020 I expected my new job would be in an office.  Covid had other plans and I have been working from home since March of last year.  While  expect to go back to the office eventually, and I am looking forward to it, the isolation has led to a lot of introspection....and personal growth.
 
6) Funny Girl was the top grossing movie of 1968. #2 was 2001: A Space Odyssey. Given the choice, would you rather watch a musical or a sci-fi flick?

Please don't make me choose.  I love both.

7) Streisand's favorite color is burgundy because it reminds her of when, as a little girl, she received a hand-knitted sweater as a gift and wearing it made her feel special. What color is your favorite sweater?

Purple.

8) In 1960, she began performing in New York clubs but she had a hard time getting work because she was only 18 and most nightclubs wouldn't hire a girl not yet old enough to drink. Do you remember your first legal alcoholic beverage? What did you have?

I was freshman in college, and the legal age to drink was 18.  I don't remember the first drink I ever ordered, but I do remember a party in the dorm with a very sweet vodka punch.  My roommates put me to bed halfway through the party. 

9) Random question: How many people know the real you?

Six. And five of them are related to me by blood.

Comments

  1. Today I would go with a musical.

    ReplyDelete
  2. #3 -- I hope you got a hollow chocolate bunny. I meant to pick one up on sale, but I forgot. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. 75% off is always a good thing when it comes to chocolate! Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hubs bought some of that easter chocolate. He sweetly gave the Lindt golden bunny to my Mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. How exciting about your patio! I wish I had a patio. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I didn't get any Easter candy this year and I missed it. Maybe next year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And now we wouldn't recognize Funny Girl as anyone other than Streisand. It's funny how these casting decisions get made.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My cousin had a nice day for his memorial service or should I say celebration of life.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  9. #4. I just try to get sweetly through each day I wake up with all my marbles. Lol

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday