20 years

 A propos of Tuesday’s blog, on Tuesday night I watched a Yankees classic, Game 4 of  the 2001 World Series.  The Yanks vs the Arizona Diamondbacks. The Yanks were the defending world champions, having defeated the Mets in 2000’s Subway Series.

The game was played in Yankee Stadium.  El Duque was on the mound, Posada behind the plate.  Derek Jeter, Bernie Williams, Paul O’Neill, Mariano Rivera in relief.  Joe Torre managing.


A come- from-behind two run home run by Tino Martinez in the 9th inning tied the game.  A Jeter home run in the bottom of the 10th, and the Yankees won the game.

The Yanks won the game, but ultimately lost the series to Arizona in Game 7.

Sigh.  Just as well, I thought at the time, because there was nowhere to hold the victory parade.

In previous years, including 2000, the city honored the Yanks with a ticker tape parade on lower Broadway, the Canyon of Heroes.  But in 2001 ... lower Manhattan was still burning.

Hard to believe it’s going to be 20 years ...

On September 11, 2021, the New York Mets will host the New York Yankees at Citi Field.  I am sure it will be an emotional night.

My hero, Mike Piazza, will be there. And I will wear my Piazza jersey while I watch the game.


Comments

  1. It's hard to believe it's been 20 years. Every year they do an assignment about it in English 9, and the kiddos have to be introduced to the subject. They hadn't even been born yet.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A