Music Monday





Another free choice week.

I've been focusing on individual artists lately, so this week I've decided to focus on some of my favorite bands, bands I've seen perform live.

I was 6 years old when the Monkees hit my TV screen.  My sister and I watched the show all the time.  We had four of their albums.  A fake band put together for a TV show, they evolved into a real band whose music endures.

I've seen the Monkees perform many times, most recently in March.

Written by Carole King and Gerry Goffin, here's "Pleasant Valley Sunday".







Fleetwood Mac...a mainstay of my high school years.  Never got to see them live in their heyday, but they had a reunion tour a few years ago and performed at Jones Beach.  I love their Rumors album, must have played it a thousand times.    Here's "The Chain".




Next up, the Rolling Stones.  Saw them in concert in Shea Stadium, October 1989.  If you're in the mood, the entire concert can be found here:  1989 concert

"Sympathy for the Devil" was on the Shea Stadium playlist.






Another band I didn't see until their reunion: the Rascals.  They actually performed on Broadway.  Missed that show, but got to see them at Jones Beach.  Here's their performance at the 2013 Tony Awards.




Now, The Turtles...first time I saw them was at the old World Trade Center, radio station CBS-FM sponsored lunchtime oldies concerts on the plaza between the Twin Towers.  And I've seen them many times in the Westbury Music Fair, they're the anchor act for the annual Happy Together tour...

Here's their signature hit, "Happy Together"





And for this last one, I'm going to "cheat"...

I was too young to actually see the Beatles tour.  I would have loved that.  But I saw Sir Paul McCartney at Citi Field in 2009.

So here's Sir Paul singing a Beatles hit, "Let It Be".


Comments

  1. Robin,

    The Monkees were a big part of my childhood, too. That was such a fun show and TV band turning into a real one is amazing. I got a chance to see The Monkees purrform in the mid-80s when they did a comeback tour with a couple of other oldie bands from that era. It was a lot of fun and I'm so glad I have that memory. Thanks for joining the 4M gang on the dance floor, my friend. Have a boogietastic week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great songs and thanks for sharing them with us. Sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I must say I agree with everyone else. You've got some real classics here especially Paul McCartny. Way ta go my friend. You've really brought back some great memories.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sir Paul was just the best....it was fitting that he did the very first concert at Citi Field, considering how the Beatles played Shea Stadium....the pleasure of seeing him in concert....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool songs from past days. We saw Sir Paul at Yankee Stadium. One of the only shows Pop went to back in the '70s was Fleetwood Mac. One of my fave Monkees' songs.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! (Envy) I've seen none of these; I've been to some (but not many) concerts. One of my cousins saw the Beatles at Shea Stadium. These all must have been marvelous concerts. Some of these songs are among my favorites, too, especially "Pleasant Valley Sunday" and "The Chain". I have a feeling some of us may be using this for a future theme for a "Your Choice" week. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. We wished we had a chance to see The Monkees, they were one of Granny's favourite bands in those days too. In fact her first single was Daydream believer, she was 9 years old when she bought it😸 Fleetwood Mac is on her list too and we agree that Rumours is one of the best albums ever. They performed here in our Country on the Pinkpop festival last year, so we could hear a few bands playing in our garden, as we live nearby :D She also heard the Rolling Stones when she was lying in the hospital, somewhere in the eighties, as the Hospital was nearby the place they performed, but she would have loved to see them Live. Thanks for the mewsic, Songbirdie💗Pawkisses for a wonderful day🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A