Flashback!

So, when you're in an LIRR station, waiting for a train, you're bound to hear  many announcements:  the time your train is expected to arrive, the track number of its arrival, a reminder to stand behind the yellow safety line and to step over the gap between the train and the platform, don't put your feet on the seats, store luggage inn the overhead racks ....

Some f the announcements are made by celebrities.  

For example, Darryl Strawberry -- former NY Met, former NY Yankee-- reminds passengers to hold their child's hand when stepping over the gap.


I completely understand.

Becca must have been about 4 years old, and Jen was about 6.  My sisters and I had taken the girls into Manhattan for some show or event.  We took the LIRR home.  

When it was time to board the train, Jen held hands with one of her aunts, and I took Becca's hand. I told her to step over the gap.  But for some reason, she started to fall into the gap.  

Never underestimate the strength of a mother who sees her child about to fall between the train and the platform.  I literally pulled Becca onto the train.  

I still remember the site of her patent leather Mary Jane lying on the tracks.  

If I were not holding her hand....

Comments

  1. Wow. A traumatic memory that may be with you always. Kudos to you for being an attentive parent and may both your daughters always do you proud. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday