another this and that

Drew and I had a lovely backyard barbecue on the 4th.  Very small group of people, but we had a lot of fun. We plan to do it again Labor Day weekend. 

Maybe the next time Jen and Becca will show up; neither was able to attend this weekend.  Jen was in Rhode Island, a friend from college got married.  And Becca was a bridesmaid at a Long Island wedding, she's known the bride since middle school.

Drew and I went to another Ducks game Saturday night.  Unfortunately they lost the game, but there was good news -- they clinched a spot in the playoffs in September because they're the top team in their division at the end of the first half of the season.  And there were fireworks at the ball park after the game.  It's cheap entertainment, costs about the same as a movie ticket.

Good thing we chose baseball over the movies...the movie theater in Drew's neighborhood had to close suddenly because it failed a health inspection.  Seems there was a little rodent problem....though I'm sure they'll reopen in a few days, after they evict the unwanted guests.

There is excitement here in NYC.  There will be a ticker tape parade!  Women's soccer -- team  USA beat the team from the Netherlands to win the World Cup.  The parade starts at Battery Park at 9:30 tomorrow morning, and will make its way up Broadway -- the Canyon of Heroes -- to City Hall.  At 10:30 there will be a ceremony recognizing the team members accomplishments, and the Mayor will give them the keys to the city.  Street closures are expected to last until noon.

I'm not a soccer fan, so I don't have plans to go to the parade.  Besides, I've been to several previous parades -- for the Vietnam vets in 1985, the 86 Mets, several of the Yankees championship teams in the 1990's, Nelson Mandela, and John Glenn (in 1998, after he flew the space shuttle).  the parades are loud, crowded, you get covered in confetti, and you're more likely to see the honorees if you watch the parade on TV -- the only reason I saw Mandela at his parade was because I was watching from a 20th floor window.

My office is near the East River, about half a mile from Broadway, so  I won't be directly affected by the crowds or the street closures. But I do plan to bring my lunch and eat in our break room, since it's likely that all the parade goers will stay in the area for lunch...

Comments

  1. Gosh, I'd like to see even one of these parades. OK, I grew up in New York City, so I had my chance. But I do have a small idea how certain events can totally disrupt a neighborhood - I've seen it here, again on a small scale. I don't envy you for having to plan your day around something like that. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it funny how these things are always talked about as a nightmare for traffic and crowds? It's a wonder we do them at all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday