Wednesday Medley



As always, Terri poses some interesting questions.

NATIONAL HAIKU POETRY DAY
Observed annually on April 17, National Haiku Poetry Day encourages all to try their hand in creativity.  Haiku poetry is a form of Japanese poetry that is non-rhyming and normally consists of 3 lines with a syllable pattern of 5-7-5.  Haiku poems are usually inspired by an element of nature, a season, a moment of beauty or an individual experience or event. Sensory language is used to capture a feeling or image.
From Haiku: This Other World
Richard Wright (1908-1960)
Whitecaps on the bay:
A broken signboard banging
In the April wind.
English haiku does not always follow the strict syllable count found in Japanese haiku. The typical length of haiku found in English language journals is 10-14 syllables, versus the 5-7-5 syllables used in the Japanese language.
HOW TO OBSERVE
Celebrate National Haiku Poetry Day by creating a haiku poem of your own!  Post your Haiku poem on social media using #NationalHaikuPoetryDay.
Educators, visit the National Day Calendar® Classroom for a project linked to National Haiku Day
HISTORY
National Haiku Poetry Day was registered by Sari Grandstaff in 2007 and implemented as a project of The Haiku Foundation in 2012.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Everything above this line comes from the (USA) NationalDayCalendar.com

1.  Haiku poetry is actually pretty easy to write.  Give it a try right here...
Yellow petals fall
Robins on the lawn sing out
Joy  -- for spring is here.
 
2.  Haiku poetry aside, have you ever written a poem?  Will you share it with us?
I used to write poetry in high school.  Sadly, none of it has survived.
 
3.  Do you have a favorite poet or does poetry usually make you yawn?
If you read my answers to last week's questions, you aready know I like poetry. 
 
Today I'll give you another of my favorites:
 
Fog
By Carl Sandburg 
                                            
The fog comes
on little cat feet.

It sits looking
over harbor and city
on silent haunches
and then moves on.
 
4.  April 17  is National Ellis Island Family History Day, too,  Did any of your ancestors or relatives immigrate through Ellis Island from another country? 
All four of my grandparents were immigrants.  Three of my grandparents died before I was born, so I don't really know their immigration stories.  But my maternal grandmother, who passed away in 1996 -- it was her voice I heard in my head when I visited the museum on Ellis Island. 
My grandmother was born in 1902 in a small town in what is now part of Poland.  She and her sister caome to the United States in the early 1920's.  Their father was already here, so they traveled with an aunt and uncle.  They sailed out of Rotterdam.
My grandmother was extremely seasick during the voyage --- she blamed the sardines that a sailor had given her -- and was held in the Ellis Island hospital for a week before they'd let her enter NYC.
 
5.  We also celebrate National Cheeseball Day on April 17th.  Do you have a favorite cheeseball recipe to share with us or have cheeseballs basically disappeared from parties today?
 
What is this thing you call a "cheeseball"?
 
Seriously, I love cheese, but I'm really not into cheeseballs.
6.  If you want to share, please tell us something random about your week.
 
I work in lower Manhattan.  My office is located in a building that has a beautiful atrium on the first floor -- lots of foiliage, including palm trees, and plenty of room to sit and pass the time.  Usually the atrium is open to the public, but the other night it was rented out to a charity for a (very expesnive) fundraising dinner.  The atrium was closed all day as the caterer set up for the dinner.
My coworkers found out that Martha Stewart sits on the board of the charity, and were hoping to get a glimpse of her as she arrived for the event. But alas, if she was here, it was well after the office workers all went home.
 
 

Comments

  1. Love your haiku. Never heard of a cheeseball.. you are missing out.. sooo good! Have a great Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You gave us a great Haiku poem!! Thanks for joining the Medley today! Your responses are so much appreciated! Sorry no one got to see Martha Stewart at the charity event. I bet the atrium was beautiful though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love reading your response.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, despite my love of cheese I am not much into the cheeseball phenomena

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fitting that Haiku day was on the 17th. I remember learning how to write those in 3rd grade. Funny what sticks...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved your haiku! Great job! Loved your answers! Have a great weekend!

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday