Florida vacation, the last day -- Gatorland!

Today's Playlist:

Amos Moses  -- Jerry Reed
Never Smile At a Crocodile -- from Disney's Peter Pan
Alligator -- Grateful Dead


I woke up on Saturday -- our last day -- wishing that I could stay just one more day.

Checkout time was 10 AM, and our flight home was not until 7 PM, so we piled all our stuff into the car and headed out  to Gatorland.  This is a small theme park/wildlife preserve focusing on (of course) alligators;  it's billed as the Gator Capital of the World.  You could easily spend a whole day here, especially if you have young children.


The place definitely has an "old Florida", including this little gem outside the entrance:



When you first walk into the park, you see several pens filled with the star attraction:



This one was ready for his close up:


The song says "never smile at a crocodile", but should you grin at an alligator?


They're a close-knit group, aren't they?

Elsewhere in the park, you can see the gators in more natural settings -- there's a "breeding marsh" towards the back of the complex.




They also have a few rare white alligators.




And several varieites of crocodile.



There are other animals on display, too.  I really loved the parrots.




And what's Florida without a few flamingos?




Gatorland is also home to snowy egrets, herons, etc., big white birds that come and go as they please.    Apparently the egrets like to build their nests near alligator habitats, to keep their young safe from marauding racoons. The big birds are not afraid of people, or alligators.






We got up close to some egrets' nests.




Do you see the baby?

More babies here:



This one is nesting...



I didn't know their eggs are blue.

And then there were these guys:





This one wanted to show off his wing span.






The park also features owls, possums, raccoons, bobcats, and these sweet creatures:




In all, a very full afternoon, and a good way to end our trip.

Comments

  1. I've never quite gotten around to visit Gatorland. The egrets were starting their nesting in the several wildlife sanctuaries we visited in Palm Beach County back in January - nice to see the babies. I wondered how the trees they had chosen weren't going to collapse under the weight of the birds. I do enjoy "Old Florida" as it brings me back to the two years in the 1970's when I lived in Tampa. Hope spring is here for good when you get back to the Northeast. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I would be weirded out to be so near the gators. But I suppose there's enough fencing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, I have to get back to my Florida posts - I was having so much fun sharing pictures from that trip and then I got very busy with work and kayak club stuff!

    My next Florida post?

    Birds and gators!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday