Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

Last night I watched the TV broadcast from Memphis, TN,  the memorial to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., who was assassinated in Memphis on April 4, 1968. They rang a bell 39 times, representing the age at which Dr. King died.

I am old enough to remember the turmoil of that year, 1968, though I was too young to realize the full impact of the events that shaped our lives.

I remember, though, the passion with which people sought to change the things they did not like about our government, our society.  The civil rights and anti war protests.  Protests by young people unwilling to accept the status quo.

Sort of like the young people leading the gun control rallies today.

Funny how we still have all the same problems, but these kids...I see hope for the future when I see them.

But for now, I look to the past, to the music of 1968.





Comments

  1. Maybe today's kids can make the changes that need to be made. I certainly hope so.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A