Women’s March 2018

Last year I went to the Women’s March in Washington, D.C.

This year I stayed local.  We thought about attending the NYC march, but instead wound up at the Long Island march in Port Jefferson Station.  Easy to drive out there, we even had time for breakfast at a diner before the rally.

There were several hundred people at our march/rally.  In ultra conservative Suffolk County.  A county he won in 2016.  And the people driving by generally supported us.

The speakers, for the most part, were local politicians.  Nice speeches, focused on both the global and local concerns.  Port Jeff is in New York’s First Congressional District, currently represented by freshman Congressman Lee Zelden, wh actually had Steve Bannon as the keynote speaker at Zelden fundraisers.  We are hoping he’ll be a one-term rep.  I’m fortunate to live in the Third District, my Congressman is Tom Suozzi.  Great guy.

I met one woman who is employed by the federal government.   She’s going on furlough Monday because of the government shutdown.  She blamed her boss, the current occupant of the Oval Office.

Others were there to support Planned Parenthood, or health care, or DACA.  I walked past one group proudly displaying the flag of Haiti.

Here are some of the highlights.














You almost had to feel bad for the dozen or so Trumpers across the street.  Almost ....




A sign that freedom of the press is alive and well.  Here’s a Newsday reporter filing his story.  You can read the story here.
https://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/womens-march-new-york-city-port-jefferson-station-1.16265199





This is what democracy looks like!

Comments

  1. Glad to see you got out and marched. (I didn't, but I wish I had.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am at the end of a visit to Orlando and we decided to visit the Farmer's Market in a downtown park, which also happened to be the staging area for the Orlando Women's March. Saw a lot of marchers - I didn't get close enough to see if there were going to be counter demonstrations. And, for whatever it is worth, the march staging area was only a couple of miles from the former Pulse nightclub. Thank you for marching. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday