The Left Hand of Darkness

Good writing entertains.  Very good writing not only entertains, it informs, it provokes, it makes us think.  And great writing stays with us, and shapes our views of life and the world around us. 

I was so sorry to hear that Urusla K. Le Guin died last week, because her book, The Left Hand of Darkness, is great writing.  I read the novel when I was in high school, in the mid 1970's, and yes, it has shaped my view of the world.

The story is set on Gethen, a planet whose inhabitants are "ambisexual", androgynous individuals who take on the characteristics of one gender or the other only when it is time to reproduce.  The book explores the cultural aspects of gender identity and gender-specific roles in society. 

The book was published in 1969, the year of the Stonewall riots, at the dawn of the feminist movement.  Fifty years ago our society expected conformity to traditional gender roles, and Le Guin's novel challenged all of our societal norms in that regard. 

But our society has evolved considerably in the last few decades.  Just look at Hillary Clinton, Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Condoleeza Rice.  Same-sex marriage is constitutionally protected, and we're debating transgender rights.  Then there's the "mee too" movement about no longer accepting sexual harassment. An increasing minority of our youth are exploring gender-fluidity as a lifestyle.

I have a more mature understanding of sexual politics now, and a 21st Century view of gender identity and its role in society.  I think it may be time to re-read the novel. 

(I'm going to download it to my nook -- good use for the credits I got from that class action settlement.  The first time I read the book, I had to borrow a paperback copy from the public library.  Yet another change in the way we live.)


Should be an intersting read. 


/

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A