songbird Salutes the 70's: Dawn Dolls

We all loved Barbie, but do you remember Dawn?

Dawn dolls were made by Topper starting in 1970, and were discontinued when Topper went bankrupt in 1973.  For awhile, though, they were the most popular fashion dolls, even more poular than Barbie. 

The dolls were six inches tall  -- about half the size of Barbie -- and had rooted hair and bendable arms and legs. 

Dawn, as I remember, had long blonde hair, and wore a dress with a blue halter top and a white skirt.  Her best friend, if I remember correctly, was Angie.  There were lots of great outfits you could buy for Dawn and her friends.

The "back story" was that Dawn owned a modeling agency, giving us the excuse to keep dressing the dolls and putting them on display.  There was even a stage you could buy to present your fashion show. 

My sister, my best friend and I spent many hours playing with our Dawn dolls.  But I think we outgrew fashion dolls shortly before the dolls disappeared from the market, so we never really missed them.

They're collectors' items now, found on eBay, and you can buy the guide on Amazon.

/

Comments

  1. When I saw your title to your blog. I was wondering what a Dawn was...Now I barely re-call them.
    For some reason I wasn't allowed to have a Barbie doll. Although I played with neighbors. For some how I had a skipper doll.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, that was a little before my time.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday