baseball musings

So...we went to another Ducks game last night.  Probably our last for the season, unless we buy playoff tickets.  We've done the playoffs in previous years, even braved the cold to watch them win the league championship.  I'm nothing if not loyal to my team.

Though last night's game really tested my loyalty.  Top of the first...bases loaded, no outs, and the pitcher gave up a grand slam home run.  It went downhill from there ... final score Bees 16, Ducks 2....

Ah yes, team loyalty.  I literally put my blood and sweat into acquiring tickets to a Mets game.  Well, my blood, anyway.  I got an email asking me to donate blood, and the sponsor of the blood drive was offering free Mets tickets to anyone who gave a pint of their finest.  I'm O+ and therefore very popular at blood drives, so...we'll be seeing the Mets play the Braves on September 26.  Seats are in the upper deck, but along the first base line, so the view will be decent. We haven't been to Cit Field at all this year, so I am looking forward to it.

With the Mets out of contention for a playoff berth, my baseball viewing is likely to come to an end as soon as the regular season is over.  Well, maybe not...unlike many Mets loyalists, I will root for the Yankees so long as they aren't playing the Mets. I was beside myself in the year 2000, when both teams made it to the World Series, but I know where my loyalties lie.

It occurs to me that I've never been to Yankee Stadium.  The Stadium and the Bronx court complex share a subway stop, so I've walked past the Stadium more than once, but I've never gone to a game or a concert there.  I'm thinking that next year, when the Mets play the Yankees at the Stadium, maybe Drew and I will go. 

After all, if it weren't for Yankee Stadium...

I may have mentioned that my parents' first date was at Yankee Stadium.  My mom is a Bronx girl, my dad was a Brooklyn boy and a huge Dodgers fan.  He took her to the game to see DiMaggio play.  Clearly he wanted to impress her, else he would never have set foot in "enemy territory". 

So I cannot get upset with my children.  Though they were both born when we were practically living in the shadow of Shea Stadium (if the Mets went into a rain delay I knew I had to close my windows), somehow they managed to become Yankees fans.  Sigh.  I tried to raise them right, I really did. 

Sigh.  we New Yorkers do take our baseball rivalries seriously, don't we?

Comments

  1. Ah, that's right, baseball season is almost over, isn't it? I tend to have grudges against local teams, so I don't pay too much attention.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday