And finally, the museum

As I said, it's small.  The buildings were all trucked in from other sites around the island.

We saw a blacksmith, a hat maker and a couple of stores, a church, even a farm.

The buildings are all furnished with period pieces.













This building was originally located just a few blocks from the first house I lived in.  There's a park and public pool on the original site now:




Drew was able to get some authentic birch beer there.  Another shop sold old fashioned candy sticks, I got a cherry and a butterscotch.

You could see a touch of autumn color:





The gazebo in center of town, we saw a band playing music:





A real working farm, complete with animals:





The geese had attitude.










There was also a "Rough Riders" encampment.  Remember that Long Island was Teddy Roosevelt's home.







This horse reminded me of a horse I rode when I was a kid:




There was a church, of course, and even a cemetery:







Talk about anachronisms.  There's an armory museum on site.  They brought some of their vehicles onto the Village potion of the property.







Yes, it was a very full day.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday