All politics are local

We all know what's happening in our country these days.

And we are angry, upset, disgusted, fearful.

But it's not enough to watch the news or read a newspaper.

It's not enough to tweet your despair or post angry rants on Facebook.

You have to do something.  You have to get involved.

On Saturday morning I attended a meeting of a political action group.  My Congressman, Tom Suozzi, a freshman and proud Democrat,   serves on the problem solvers committee, an effort at bipartisanship to get this country moving again. He has created a political action group for constituents and supporters, so that our voices may be heard.  

I left Suozzi's meeting and headed to the Hicksville train station.  I was there at the request of a Planned Parenthood volunteer coordinator.  Usually she asks me to show up for events directly associated with PP's stated mission, but on Saturday we joined with many other groups to support DACA, the Dreamers and immigrant rights.  We marched from the train station to Governor Cuomo's regional office, about a mile away.  We got good press coverage.  I saw the article and video in the newspaper's app.  I wasn't able to download the video, but here's a screen shot.





Yes, that's me in the video, wearing pink and carrying a sign.

Today is primary day.  We have a number of local elections coming up in November, and a few party primaries today.  

I've been working on the campaign of a local candidate, a woman who wants to serve on our town council. We knock on doors, make phone calls, attend fundraisers.  She's not in a primary, we're already gearing up for the general election.  But she's on the same slate as a candidate for Town Supervisor (our equivalent of "mayor"), who is involved in a primary.  I'm anxiously awaiting the results, so that we can turn our attention to defeating the Republican slate.

Because, yes, this little local election, in a community on Long Island, is important.  

Do something.  Get involved.

Be the change.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday