Gilbert & Sullivan

I have to admit, I'm a wannabe.  I would love to be active in community theater, or some similar pursuit.  I mean, I was a drama club member all through junior high and high school, and I sang in the school chorus.  I took two theater classes in college, and I even appeared in a one-act play.  But that's where it stopped...

Drew, on the other hand, has been a member (on and off) of a local community theater group, a troop of volunteers whose purpose is to present to works of Gilbert & Sullivan.  Lately, as there are so many other things going on in his life, it's been more "off" than "on".  Drew's sister has also been a member of the troop for a long time, and of course Drew has a lot of friends who are current or former members. 

They do one production each year, starting rehearsals in January and performing over several weekends in June and July.  This year's production was H.M.S. Pinafore; or, The Lass That Loved a Sailor.  Drew and I caught the last performance of the production. 

Pinafore is one of Gilbert & Sullivan's best known works, full of  silliness and social and  political satire set to some truly beautiful music.

Afterwards, the musical director urged Drew to audition for next year's production of Iolanthe.  She also thought he'd be great as a member of the organization's governing board. 

And the good news is, he's seriously considering it.  I really think he should, he needs the creative outlet.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday