Music Monday

 Happy Hanukkah!

Hanukkah is a moveable feast.

This year Hanukkah began on December 7.  Next year the first night of Hanukkah will be December 25.  In 2013 the first night of Hanukkah was November 28, coinciding with Thanksgiving.  (Remember my menurkey?)

The vagaries of the lunar calendar …

Hanukkah is called The Festival of Light.  We bring light and hope into our lives during the darkest times,

So let’s play some Hanukkah music.

We’ll start with Six13’s latest.


Now for something traditional by artists you know.

  

  

Let’s have some fun with this.

  

 

If you want more humor follow the link for all four versions of Adam Sandler’ s classic.

Something in Ladino to celebrate my daughters’ Sephardic heritage

  


A little bit of social  justice in the mix

  

Some a capella from the Maccabeats and Six13

  


  

  


  

And in these dark days, we will rise up.






Happy Hanukkah!

Comments

  1. Happy Hanukkah! I'm not Jewish, but I like donuts and potato pancakes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Hanukkah to you and yours! I think I like your last song the best it's so festive!!! Have a great day and a Christmasy week... We're decorating today... hehehe lots work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Holidays, Robin! "Elton Johnukah" is a fun song pick. May the season of love, fill your soul and lite your home! xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Hanukkah to you. My favorite here was Ocho Kandelikas and maybe I can thank all the Latin music I heard on the subway growing up (our family was carless) for loving. This may have been the first time I ever heard Ladino and it surprised me because I learned in college that the language was nearly extinct. In second place was Six13 and Elton Johnukah. They did some great work here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Drew’s grandparents were Sephardim from Greece and Turkey. Drew's mother and grandparents all spoke Ladino. But it’s a dying language.

      Delete
  5. I love these but I'd love to hear some traditional songs which, I bet, are beautiful. There are so many Jewish people In Hollywood. All the major studios were owned and operated by Jewish people who would deny they were Jewish! Louis B. Mayor went to church and celebrated Christmas. They all came from impoverished areas in Russia, Romania etc.. and were persecuted so I think this is why they kept quiet

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday