Another this and that

So …

New cooking experiment.  I made my usual gluten free corn muffins, but with a twist.  I saw a recipe for corn muffins with  cranberry sauce.  I had some canned cranberry sauce in the house, so I mixed it into my muffins.  They look good, but the muffin pan liners feel very sticky.  I’ll let you know if I like the results.

Next experiment will be a change to the pumpkin muffin mix, I’ll use pumpkin purée in the batter.  That should be tasty.

Though I’ve decided that gluten free stuffing isn’t worth the effort.  I ruined the first batch by trying to “doctor” it.  Second batch was ok the day I made it, but the leftovers were awful. Live and learn.

My daughters are still in awe that I know how to cook.  All the years we lived with my parents, my sister did the cooking and baking.  When I got my own apartment, and then when I moved in with Drew, I began to experiment with cooking and baking.  Since I’ve gone gluten free I have been adapting recipes, since there are many foods I can’t buy ready-made if I stick to my dietary restrictions.  So I’ve taken up cooking and baking again.  I’m really enjoying it.

I think I’ll try making latkes for Hanukkah.  Maybe I’ll try using the air fryer… buying an air fryer was one of the best suggestions Becca made …

So far so good with the Hanukkah decorations.  I think the lawn signs go up tomorrow. Electric menorah in the window tomorrow night.  And candles in the kitchen.  

And I bought chocolate gelt.  Did you hear about the recall?  Manischewitz wraps milk chocolate coins in gold foil and dark chocolate coins in silver foil.  If you follow kosher rules you can’t eat meat and dairy at the same meal, so the dark chocolate coins are a popular item if they’re dessert for a meat meal.  It seems Manischewitz had a packaging problem, there are bags marked “dark chocolate” that may actually contain gold-wrapped milk chocolate coins. The FDA doesn’t care about kosher laws, but they do care if someone who can’t eat dairy accidentally consumes the mislabeled coins.  I don’t have an issue with milk chocolate (thankfully), but I did check my purchases — no problem. All things in moderation.

Yeahs I’ve gotten so … domestic… lately.



Comments

  1. Cooking and baking can be fun when you have the space and time to do it. It sounds like you're able to adapt a lot for your gluten-free life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did a lot of baking when I was in college. I even tried to make strudel, which my then-boyfriend and now husband of over 49 years still teases me about because it was so awful. You've really leaned into your gluten free life. I totally agree about the air fryer; my husband and son both love theirs.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday