American Museum of Natural History

 We live on Long Island, just a short commute into New York City and all the cultural riches it offers.

The American Museum of Natural History is one of the most famous museums in the world. And not just because of the movie Night at the Museum.

And we visited the museum last week.

When you visit the museum you will get lessons on astronomy, anthropology, archeology, zoology, paleontology, biology, ecology … and because all of the halls and some of the exhibits bear the names of donors, you’ll learn about philanthropy as well.

And if you doubt the veracity of Darwin’s theory of evolution…the museum will either turn you into a believer or make your head explode.

This is a meteor. It crashed into Earth thousands of years ago.

  



Paleontology time.

  


These guys look scary.



Pacific Islands


And this guy looks familiar


I learned a lot about the Native Americans who lived on the plains and the eastern woodlands.



  

The animal displays always make me sad, I’d rather see live animals in the zoo.




There was a little surprise, though.  In one of the exhibits we found living animals … tiny poisonous frogs.  We’d seen the same frogs in the Costa Rican rainforest last year.

The elephants are in the Theodore Roosevelt Rotunda.  It’s a nice place to sit if you need to take a break (and you will need to take a break).

  

Welcome to Asia.  This was a display of Jewish artifacts.







I had to educate someone, that huge silver thing is a covering for the Torah scroll.  


  


More from Asia. 


By the time we reached Mexico, Central and South America I was losing steam … 




  


But I had to see the Mayan pyramid.  It reminded me of our visits to Alton Ha, San Gervasio and Chichén Itza.



We saw a lot … but there was so much more to see.  It’s simply impossible to see the whole museum in a single day.  We will have to go back.


Comments

  1. I remember school field trips to this museum. Sadly, for me it became boring because it was always the same old dioramas, etc. As an adult, I'd want to see this although I haven't been there in some 60 years. One thing some in the museum field have become sensitive to is objects that were improperly appropriated/outright stolen, by various world museums. I hope this museum doesn't have that problem. (John Oliver did a segment on that about a year or so ago). BTW, thank you for recommending Planting Fields to me. We had a great visit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you enjoyed.

      The museum recently removed a statue of Teddy Roosevelt because of sensitivity issues and is evaluating its collections.

      Delete
  2. I guess this is in New York. I had the good fortune of visiting the Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History in Washington in November 2008. It's a great educational experience. A treasure house of information.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure the place is immense. It's good you live close.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I went to an Natural history museum, in San Francisco.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday