Wednesday hodgepodge

 


1. This week's Hodgepodge lands on Ash Wednesday which signals the beginning of Lent. Do you mark this season in some way? If so tell us more. Did you grow up 'celebrating' Lent? Is attending church part of your weekly routine? Are churches open for in-person worship where you live? 

I’m Jewish.  Lent isn’t part of my religion.

My synagogue went digital last year, services via Zoom.  Now the building is open for worship but at limited capacity.  You have to register in advance if you want to be in the building for services.

2. When is the last time you sat beside a 'real' fire? Do you have a fireplace in your home? Wood or gas logs? Favorite thing cooked over a fire? 

I don’t have a fireplace.  Drew does, but he never uses it.  There was an electric fireplace at the restaurant when we went out to eat Saturday.  But it’s been awhile since I’ve been near a “real” fire.

3. Something that's currently got you fired up? 

The nightly news/politics.  

4. February also happens to be National Cabbage Day. Who knew? Do you like cabbage? Is cabbage on your menu Wednesday? Of the following cabbage dishes which is your favorite-coleslaw (mayo or vinegar?), sauerkraut, cabbage rolls, cabbage soup, kielbasa and cabbage, grilled cabbage, bubble and squeak, kimchi, or haluski? 

I like cabbage.  Cole slaw is nice.  So is sauerkraut.  I eat kimchi occasionally, but it’s very spicy.  love stuffed cabbage. My grandmother made the best stuffed cabbage.

5. Do you hang on to pennies? What do you do with them? Last thing you purchased for $1.00? Last thing you purchased for $5.00? 

I save all my coins and redeem them at the bank.  

I bought some gadgets for my kitchen at Dollar Tree.  As the name suggests, everything is priced at $1.00

6. Insert your own random thought here. 

I am so done with snow.

Comments

  1. Yes, I am done with snow and ice and more is falling right now. I'm beginning to think it isn't going to end. Mercy! The news is not a favorite of mine anymore, just don't care to listen to it. I stay in the know and that's about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No snow here but we're supposed to get some crazy rain all day tomorrow, which creates problems of a different sort. Ugh. I have never made stuffed cabbage but would like to give that a try. Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aren't grandmothers' recipes the best? Another vote for done with snow. It was pretty when it was falling and we didn't have to go anywhere but the snirt (snow + dirt) on the side of the plowed roads is so ugly. I shouldn't complain, at least the roads are plowed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an interesting question about fire. It's been ages since I've been next to a real fire, I think. Unless candles count. But I remember campfires and our fireplace in my childhood home. So, fire was a thing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dollar Tree seemed to be a popular answer for #5. I go there often and can always find something.

    We have snow too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh yeah. I hear you about the snow. We had more overnight and are supposed to get MORE tomorrow and over the weekend. Spring can't come soon enough.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday