Saturday 9

 

My Valentine

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: My Valentine (2011)
 
Unfamiliar with this week's tune? Hear it here.
 
1) Paul McCartney sings that he won't let a day go by without remembering why he loves his valentine. What blessings are you thankful for today?

I will celebrate my birthday on Thursday.  I am always grateful to have made it through another year.  This year I am especially grateful.


2) Paul directed the video of Natalie Portman translating his song into American Sign Language (ASL), which is the third most commonly-used language in both the United States and Canada. British Sign Language (BSL), commonly used in EU countries, is very different. Do you find it easy to learn new languages?

I don't think it's "easy", but it's not particularly difficult either. I took Spanish in junior high, high school and college, and did very well.  I've forgotten much of what I learned, but if I needed to I could probably handle a conversation in that language, and with a little effort I could regain my fluency.

I also studied Hebrew as a child, which is more difficult because it uses a different alphabet, and I do remember a bit of my Hebrew. With effort I could probably learn the language if I wanted.
 
3) The song is on Paul's Kisses on the Bottom CD, for which he won one of his 18 Grammy Awards. What compliment or accolade have you recently received?

Can't think of anything right now...

4) Paul is an honorary NYPD detective. He was given this designation for performing a charity concert after 9/11. Do you know anyone in law enforcement?

My older daughter Jen is a civilian employee of the police department.  

5) Bob Dylan has said of Paul, "I'm in awe of McCartney. He's about the only one I'm in awe of. He can do it all. He never lets up. He's just so effortless." Tell us about someone whose talent you admire.

I have to agree with Dylan.  I am in awe of Sir Paul.

One of the best concerts I ever saw, Sir Paul at Citi Field.




Live music...stadiums full of people...good times....


This is the last Saturday  9 before Valentine's Day and so this morning we shall focus on the upcoming holiday. 


6) The holiday is also known as The Feast of St. Valentine. Do you have a special meal planned for February 14?

No,  nothing planned for the 14th.  Drew and I are going out tonight, though.  We are headed to The Melting Pot; the restaurant has a special prix fixe menu for Valentine's Day weekend.

7) The phrase "wear your heart on your sleeve" began in medieval times. On Valentine's Day, men would celebrate the holiday by displaying their lady love's name on their sleeves. If you were going to adopt this custom, whose name would you wear?

Drew.

8) Women buy and send more Valentines than men do. Who received the last greeting card you sent?

I gave Drew a birthday card, his birthday was February 7.

9) Men buy and send more roses at Valentine's Day than women do. What's your favorite flower?



Comments

  1. My husband said that Arlo, a beagle we once had, wore his heart on his sleeve. He meant that Arlo was very emotional.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thursday is my oldest bday as well. Happy early bday to you! I've been wanting to try out the melting pot... but its not my hubs cup of tea. Happy Saturday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was never much of a concert fan, but I did see Phil Collins in Genesis in college the on their first tour in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hebrew is an interesting choice. My Bible teacher has studied it and she has encouraged all of us to look up the original Hebrew meaning of words in the Bible. There's so much nuance that English doesn't cover and it adds a lot of insight. I enjoy doing that, but I don't know that I could learn to speak it. My mouth doesn't seem to want to wrap around the gutteral speech patterns and sounds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard Hebrew in synagogue all the time. My parents spoke Yiddish to each other when they didn’t want us to understand what they were saying. The guttural sounds come easy to me.

      Spoken Hebrew is to Biblical Hebrew as modern English is to Shakespeare. I have a bit of familiarity with both.

      There’s a story about a Rabbi, very knowledgeable about Biblical Hebrew, on his first trip to Israel, realizing that he really doesn’t speak Hebrew.

      Delete
  5. Happy birthday to you! Loved your answers! Happy Valentine's Day! ♥

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope you have a wonderful birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy birthday! Enjoy. Lovely photo of roses.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday this week! I hope you have a lovely one!
    When I was answering the question about languages, it came to mind that the most difficult ones where those that had a different alphabet, Hebrew, Hindi, Arabic, Chinese and all of the Native American ones.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've always wanted to learn ASL. I know a few signs, but I couldn't hold a conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, guys, I am looking forward to a birthday celebration,

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it going to be pretty quite here on valentine day.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday