Music Monday

 Another "your choice" week.

Today I want to play the music of Tony Bennett.

Bennett, the last icon of a generation of singers known for  traditional pop standards, show tunes, big band and jazz, is 94 years old and still recording music.  He recently announced that he was diagnosed with Alzheimer's in 2016, but it hasn't seemed to slow him down.

I had the pleasure of seeing Bennett perform in 2013.  Becca was trying to win Knicks tickets from a local radio station, but wound up winning tickets to Bennett's show instead.  She had no interest in traveling to Newark, NJ for the concert, but thought Drew and I would enjoy the show.  She was right.   The highlight of the concert was when Bennett turned off his mike and sang "Fly Me to The Moon"  -- and every member of the audience could hear him perfectly.  Oh, the power of that voice!

Guess that's a good place to start.




One of my favorite Bennett perfromances is when he sang with Billy Joel at Shea Stadium in 2008.



He's done quite a few duets with Lady Gaga.  Here's one of their best.



He recorded his signature song, "I Left My Heart In San Francisco", in 1962. Here he sings it with Judy Garland on her TV show in 1963.



And let's close it out with...back in April, as the virus ravaged New York and New Jersey, there was a telethon to raise money for New Jersey charities. And Tony sang a song that broke my heart.






There's a better version here, I wasn't able to embed it in the blog.


Comments

  1. Robin,

    I'm glad you site is working now. I came by earlier but it wouldn't let me click on anything. *sigh* Now, I didn't know Tony Bennett was diagnosed with Alzheimers. That's too bad! I'm rattling my brain trying to think of old crooners but he's the only one that comes to mind. The rest have slipped from this life into the next. It'll be sad to see this talented generation to vanish. Great music set today, my friend. Have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a problem with the linky code and it froze my post. Fixed it.

      Steve Lawrence is still with us, although his wife Eydie Gorme passed several years ago. Gorme was Drew's mother's cousin...

      Delete
  2. I had heard on a nightly news show about Tony Bennett having been diagnosed with Alzheimers several years ago. I had the opportunity to go to a concert of his about three years ago - and I passed it up. The singers of our childhoods are passing away so quickly now - I somehow thought he was eternal. Nice set, especially Fly Me to the Moon. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can never go wrong with Tony Bennett - his voice is immediately recognizable for sure. Such awesome songs! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday