Music Monday

 Wow, this month went by so quickly!

It's another "your choice" week.

I may have mentioned, more than once, that Drew is of Sephardic Jewish heritage.  His mother's family came from Greece and Turkey, and spoke Ladino (Judeo-Spanish).   Drew's mother had a famous cousin -- Eydie Gorme.

And Eydie is related to another famous Sephardic singer, Neil Sedaka.  Drew and I refer to Sedaka as his cousin, but in reality I don't think Drew is related to Sedaka. 


Lainie Kazan is also Sephardic, but not related to Gorme or Sedaka.

And then I found out that Lea Michele, born Lea Michele Sarfati, also claims Greek/Sephardic roots.


So today I'm playing songs from Sephardic Jewish artists.


Let's start with Lea.



At the Tony Awards



And on Glee, with Idina Menzel...




Lainie Kazan...



With Dean Martin




So dramatic, so moving



Neil....let's call it two careers.  Because he sang teen songs, then disappeared for awhile...and had a more sophisticated sound.

He loves his calendar girl



Sweet 16...



He likes to laugh in the rain



Bad blood?



And last, but certainly not least, is Drew's cousin Eydie...



She loved Latin rhythms



But where are the clowns?



And with Steve Lawrence






Comments

  1. I won't blame it on the Bossa Nova, but I had never heard of Lea Michele, and maybe that's because I am not that much into Broadway or actors. But she's from the Bronx, I see, so I'm an instant fan. At least I'm familiar with both Eydie Gorme and Neil Sedaka. Although I am not of Sephardic Jewish origin, one of my father's sisters married a Sephardic Jewish man so it's in my family. (I also have Hispanic cousins, a story for another time.) Enjoyed this set! Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. My daughters are more familiar with Lea Michele than I am. But they had no idea she’s Sephardic. My mom was a Bronx girl, you know ...

      Delete
  2. Alana,

    I'm not a fan of Lea Michele's music style. Definitely too Broadway sounding for me. Not that that's a bad thing, it's just not my preferred musical genre. Now I know the oldies you shared. Neil Sedaka had some fabulous pop songs from the 60s & 70s. Your Sedaka song features are some of his best. I grew up watching Steve Lawrence and Edyie Gorme variety show. They sang beautifully together. Is Edyie Drew's 2nd cousin? I assumed since you said his mother and Edyie were cousins that maybe they were first cousins but I thought I'd ask. :) Anywho, that's still very cool to know. Thanks for putting together such a fun post filled with lots of good old music and mega thanks for being this month's honorary co-hostess, my dear. Have a boogietastic week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m not quite sure what the relationship is, so I just leave it as “cousins”

      Delete
  3. I kind of liked Lea Michele musical style. First time I really listened to her music deeply. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I done enough genealogy and never know who your related to.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Interesting post and some nice tunes!

    Purrs xx
    Athena and Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very clever idea, and you built a great playlist!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How interesting that Drew's mother is related to Eydie Gorme - I know my mom loved anything she did. :) Great playlist!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday