Wednesday HodgePodge



1. Feb 2nd is Groundhog Day in the US of A. Tell us about one day you wouldn't mind living over again, and why you chose that day. 

Why does this remind me of the modern theater class I took?  Oh, yeah, Thorton Wilder time....

My 40th birthday.  Spent it in Walt Disney World with Jen and Becca.  Ate dinner in the Magic Kingdom, at the Crystal Palace.  It's a character meal, we dined with Winnie the Pooh, Tigger, Eeyore and Piglet. It wasn't the most important day of my life, but it was a funny day with no stress, spent in the company of my two favorite people.


 2. Something you know beyond a 'shadow of a doubt'? 

That I will never reach my goal of becoming a Broadway star...

3. Give us an example of history repeating itself in some way, in your own life or the lives of your children.

Funny story.  I must have been about three years old at the time.  My grandmother was looking to rent a summer bungalow in the Catskills.  My grandmother, my mother, my younger  sister and I drove up to the mountains to look at the bungalow colony.

For some reason I decide to hide behind the refrigerator.  And I didn't answer when my mother called my name.  My mother looked all over the cottage -- or thought she did.  She started looking outside, even walked over to the swimming pool....By the time she got back to the bungalow she was frantic.  

And that's when I popped out from behind the fridge and laughed at my wonderful joke.

And that's when she cursed me with "you should only have a child just like yourself."

Fast forward 30 years, and my daughter Jen was 3 years old.  Drew and I and the girls were living in a 6th floor apartment.    Our weekday mornings were very busy, as we had to get two girls ready for day care and get ourselves ready for work.

One morning Drew went out to walk the dog, and forgot to lock the apartment door.  And while he was out, I noticed that Jen was missing.  I looked all over the apartment, called her name.  No Jen.  Ran out to the hallway, no Jen.  When Drew got back, I went back out to the hall, checked the elevator, no Jen.   Imagined that the child might have gone down to the lobby, maybe even left the building. 

I was frantic.  Went back to the apartment to get my coat, and ... there she was.  Laughing. She'd been hiding under my bed.

4. Snowed under, snow job, not a snowball's chance, snowbird, on thin ice, snug as a bug in a rug, tip of the iceberg, snowball effect, run hot and cold....choose a wintry idiom and tell us how it best applies to your life right now. 

Snowed under ... very busy at work right now.

5. Your favorite sign of spring? 

Years ago, when my kids were little and we were living in my parents' house, I planted tulips, daffodils and crocuses.  I planted the bulbs in the back yard, a spot that could be seen from the kitchen window.  Problem was, the spot was too far for the crocuses to be visible, but we had an excellent view of the other flowers.

Eventually the tulips and daffodils died out.  So imagine my surprise, when I found myself in the backyard one day in March 2019, and the crocuses were in full bloom.

They are my favorite sign of spring.  Well, the flowers and the robins, of course. (Imagine, a girl named Robin likes robins...who would have thought?)

Here they are:




6. Insert your own random thought here.

So glad to be able to work from home and not have to use vacation days during the blizzard...


Comments

  1. Oh boy history repeating itself was frightening for my mom mind! So good not to have to leave the house in a blizzard! Hope the rest of your week goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is a house in my neighborhood that has a corner planting of snowdrops and crocuses. It's always so good to see those coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A child missing for even a second feels like hours and takes days off your life! I'm glad you don't have to get out in the crazy weather. My daughter teaches in PA and they went outside for recess today! The kids bring boots and snowpants to school. She had only taught in SC before this job, so this new responsibility of getting 15 7-year olds into snow gear was a new one for her: )

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, did you curse Jen as your mother cursed you?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funny; I was going to pick a Disney day as my day to relive even though I don't have any sort of crazy allegiance to Dinsey.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No funny at the time, but it is funny that what goes around will come back to bite you. That same thing has happened to me! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Robin,

    Loved reading your answers, especially the history repeating itself story with your daughter. That's a scary story but oh how relieved you were!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday