This insidious disease

I told a very short version of this story back in October.

There are songs you associate with the beautiful, wonderful moments in your life.

It was autumn of 2003.  Jen was 12 years old and in 8th grade; she'd celebrate her 13th birthday in early November.

She was taking the required health education class.  Each child was expected to take home a doll that had been programmed to act like a real baby.  Jen took the doll home on a Friday, two weeks before her bat mitzvah.  Not exactly her best decision, as we had a lot of errands to take care of before her big day.  The ladies in the Judaica store  were absolutely amazed by the realistic doll.   The folks in the movie theater were not as enthralled, especially when the doll began to cry in the middle of the movie.

Jen asked me to drive her to school Monday morning;  she wanted to get to school early so she could give the doll back to her health teacher as soon as possible.

She named the doll "Stacy".   At the time, there was a top 40 hit called "Stacy's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne.  The song, and the accompanying video, told the story of two young teens; the boy had a crush on the girl's mother.  The refrain was "Stacy's mom has got it going on." Jen named the doll Stacy so that she could call herself "Stacy's Mom".

Yesterday I heard some very sad news.

Adam Schlesinger, co-founder of the New Jersey power-pop group Fountains of Wayne and Emmy- and Grammy-winning songwriter for film, television, and theater, died Wednesday from complications related to COVID-19. He was 52.


Fountains of Wayne’s Adam Schlesinger Dead at 52 From Coronavirus



I never heard another song by Fountains of Wayne or Adam Schlesinger.  But whenever I hear this song, my mind goes back to 2003.

This stupid virus has taken so much from all of us.   I hate it.

I salute you,  Adam, for the good memories you gave Jen's mom. Rest in peace.



Comments

  1. I heard this. So sad. And not the first or last "name" that we'll hear. The other song you might have heard: "That Thing You Do" from the movie of the same name. He wrote it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't believe they have a doll they give children here. I think I am going to ask my sons about this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some schools teach the lesson using a raw egg. You can't allow the egg to crack.

      Delete
  3. I echo what Liz said. I heard about Adam this morning; another tribute to inserted into my Monday music post. Not the first, not the last, sadly. I dread what the death toll will be, and who our world will lose, famous and not. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There have been so many deaths recently. Not all of the deaths are from the virus, but with resources stretched so thin, people with other illnesses ... the death toll will be scary.

      I'm looking forward to your tribute.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday