Music Monday with Sir Paul

Did you see Sir Paul McCartney on TV Saturday night, as part of the big benefit concert?  He sang “Lady Madonna” and talked about how his mother Mary was a nurse and midwife.



I may have mentioned (more than once) that the very first concert ever presented at Citi Field, on July 17, 2009, was Sir Paul McCartney.

And that I was there.


July 17, 2009 was the very first time I went to Citi Field.    I’ve been there so many times over the years to see Mets games, but my first visit was to see Sir Paul. 

The NY Mets played the 2008 season at the famed Shea Stadium, after which it was torn down.  They began to play at Citi Field, which had been built in the Shea parking lot, in 2009.    

Native New Yorker Billy Joel played two concerts at Shea in July 2008, famously billed as The Last Play At Shea.  And his special guest at the second concert was Sir Paul McCartney, who in 1965 had played the very first concert at Shea as part of The Beatles.  Sir Paul closed the show with a Beatles song, “Let It Be.”

I was heartbroken that I could not get tickets to see Billy Joel.

So when Sir Paul announced that he’d do three concerts at the newly-opened Citi Field, I was determined to go.

I got tickets for that first show.

My blog post from 2009 doesn’t do the concert justice.

Two days before the show at Citi Field, on a Wednesday afternoon, Sir Paul did an impromptu set on the marquee of The Ed Sullivan Theater in Manhattan, followed by an appearance on Letterman, which only built the excitement for the concert.  

And then finally it was Friday night.

(These are photos from various baseball games, but you get the idea...)















After a forgettable opening act, Sir Paul took the stage at 9 PM.  And he sang for 2 1/2 hours.  Beatles hits.  Wings hits.  Solo hits.  Tributes to John Lennon and George Harrison.

Concert was everything I’d hoped for.

And then ...


And then...

“Ladies and Gentlemen, Mr. Billy Joel.”

Our native son.

The crowd went wild.

I could barely contain my excitement.

They sang a duet, “I Saw Her Standing There”, the same song Billy and Sir Paul performed at Shea the previous summer.


The Citi Field concerts were released as a CD/DVD  called Good Evening New York City.

Here are some of the highlights.






Yeah, pyrotechnics at Citi Field...











Yes, I believe in Yesterday....















Comments

  1. How fortunate you were! That's the bad thing about living in a small upstate New York village. Hardly anyone comes here to perform. Certainly, never Billy Joel or Sir Paul. I did enjoy the Global Citizen concert with Sir Paul, Stevie Wonder, the Rolling Stones, and so many more on Saturday, because it was all natural - no AutoTune, no gimmicks, just raw and wonderful. You picked a couple of my favorite McCartney tunes also - Band on the Run and Live and Let Die. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was an incredible show, Lady Gaga deserves all the accolades....

    Over the years I have been so very fortunate to see some incredible live music.McCartney at Cit Field was one of the best, a shared experience with 60,000 of my fellow New Yorkers. One of the reasons I picked "Live and Let Die" is that during the pyrotechnics you can see the Citi Field sign over the stage....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin,

    WOW, that looks like one cool concert! Paul really went all out for 'Live and Let Die'. I loved the fireworks! I bet the crowd went crazy. Thanks for sharing such electric mewsic videos of a favorite artist for many, Sir Paul!! Have a boogietastic week, my dear. I hope you're staying healthy on your end. Sending love, hugs, & prayers to you! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathy,

      Yes, it was incredible, and I'm still glowing form it 11 years later.

      Staying well and hope you are, too.

      Delete
  4. That is so cool. McCartney is amazing. I saw him on April 1st, 1990 (I remember the date because it was exactly two weeks before I left for Navy Boot Camp) at Memorial Stadium in Berkeley-The home of Cal Football. It was amazing because of the setting. Memorial Stadium is located inside of Strawberry Canyon. It was the perfect setting. Here is a look at Memorial Stadium for a Cal Football Game: https://csuhpat1.blogspot.com/2016/11/college-football-washington-at-cal.html

    Glad that you are still glowing after 11 years. Thanks for sharing your memories of the concert and the music of Sir Paul.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like he gave a great show, I’m glad you enjoyed

      Delete
  5. We love the Beatles and those are amazing tracks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. During quarantine, I've made a personal commitment to close my exercise circle daily. With that being said Paul's music is great to dance to. I could especially relate to the lyrics of Band on the Run.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a great show Paul put on for sure. The first song was totally awesome. Live & Let die! Wow! I should be so lucky to see something like that. WOW! All these tunes are impeccable. Okay, I'm going to have to listen to each & everyone. We're big Paul fans in this house so hubby wasn't to hear too! You really picked a great bunch here. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glad you were able to see the concert.

    ReplyDelete
  9. WOW! That must have been a wonderful time at that concert😸Clean Pawkisses for a Happy Tuesday. Stay Safe Healthy and Yourselfie🙏🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday