Saturday 9

 

Autumn in New York

Welcome to Saturday 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!


Saturday 9: Autumn in New York (1947)

Unfamiliar with this week's song? Hear it here.

1) In this song, Frank Sinatra sings that autumn in New York is inviting. How are you enjoying fall where you are?

I live on Long Island, a suburb of NYC.  I don’t go into the city much anymore, but I used to work in Manhattan and the song resonates …

But I have been enjoying autumn on the island.  The weather is cool but not cold, the leaves are turning, Halloween is coming …

2) He tells us the "canyons of steel" (aka skyscrapers) make him feel like he's home. What's something you love about your neighborhood?

I live in Levittown, which was a planned community built in the late 1940’s and early 1950’s for returning GI’s and their families.  The houses here were built assembly-line style, identical in almost every way.  In the 77 years since Bill Levitt first broke ground (the first houses were built in …you guessed it …1947) homeowners have expanded their homes, so that no two houses are alike.  I’ve lived in four different Levitt homes, and each was a unique experience.  I love walking through the neighborhoods and seeing the creativity, seeing how each neighborhood in this community has developed its own character.

Oh, and the fact that I live about half a mile from the house where Billy Joel grew up …yeah, I’m crushing on a celebrity …

3) Frank Sinatra was self-conscious about the scar on his cheek. The doctor used forceps to deliver him and left a mark. Tell us about one of your scars.

I had the chicken pox when I was four years old, and it left a scar right in the middle of my forehead.  I was very aware of that scar when I was a child.  It faded over time, and now I have to actually look for it.

4) Frank was a creature of habit. Every time he visited Patsy's Italian Restaurant in New York he ordered the same dessert: lemon ricotta torte. Do you enjoy trying new dishes, or do you prefer to stick with your old favorites?

I’ve eaten at Patsy's, the food is still amazing.

I used to be an adventurous diner, I loved to try new foods.  Since my Celiac diagnosis in 2023, though, I’ve had to be more cautious. I tend to stick with foods that I won’t react to.

5) "Autumn in New York" was written by New Yorker Vernon Duke during a hot summer vacation in Westport, CT. Have you ever been homesick?

I have lived on Long Island or the outer boroughs of NYC virtually my entire life, but I went to college upstate, at the State University of New York at Albany.  Life in the Capital District was a bit different than what I was used to, and yes, I did get homesick.  When school let out for holiday breaks, I’d usually take the bus from Albany back to Long Island.

And there was a Billy Joel song … 



“I’m taking a Greyhound down a Hudson River Line …”

6) In 1947, when this recording made the Top 30, Daniel and Patricia were the most popular baby names. Are there any Daniels or Patricias in your life?

Not at this time,

7) Elton John was born in 1947. When you think of Elton John, what's the first song that comes to mind?




We got to see Sir Elton on his farewell tour.

8) Radio was America's most accessible form of entertainment in 1947 and a mystery, The Adventures of Ellery Queen, was one of the most popular shows. Do you enjoy mysteries?

Yes.  I cut my teeth on Ellery Queen novels.  I do love a mystery,

9) Random question: What were you most excited about when you woke up this morning?

I’m writing this on Friday.  I am going to watch TV this afternoon, Game Five of the National League Championship Series.  I’ve scheduled this meme to post after the game. LET’S GO METS!


Of course, as a Mets fan, I have become accustomed to having my heart ripped out of my chest and stomped on until it stops beating …so if you don’t see me around you’ll know why … (yes, I’m exaggerating…but the pain of being a Mets fan is very real …) 






Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!

 

Comments

  1. Heart is still beating … they won last night …

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hooray for the Mets win! We chose the same Elton John song. I missed my opportunity to see his Farewell Tour. I'm kicking myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad to see your heart is still beating. I am glad to hear that all of the same houses are no longer the same. I always wondered about neighborhoods like that (there aren't any around me like that, since I'm so rural). How would you know you were on the right block?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your insights, Songbirdie. That was an interesting game...not thé game, as we don't know them, but these answer-game😸😸Double Pawkisses for a Happy Caturday🐾😽💞

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

Music Monday

Ultimate Blog Party!!!!