Soup emergency,

 


So dinner last night …a joint effort. I made the gefilte fish, my sister made brisket, turkey and numerous side dishes, we ordered challah and desserts from the bakeries — I order gluten free stuff for myself, everyone else gets the regular challah etc. from another bakery.

I did a lot of shopping for the dinner, I went to the supermarket Tuesday.  And then yesterday I logged a lot of time in the car …in traffic, of course.  Because nothing is ever easy when my family’s holiday is concerned,

First stop was Stew Leonard’s, a specialty grocery store that makes the best apple cider donuts and donut holes.  There are two locations on Long Island.  One store is in East Meadow, about three miles from my house.  The other store is in Farmingdale, about 7 miles from my house.  I went to the East Meadow store — no donuts or donut holes.  Wound up driving to the second store. 

Next stop was my favorite Bare Naked Bakery, for my gluten free challah and desserts.  It’s about six miles from Stew Leonard’s to the bakery, and then five and a half miles from the bakery to my house.

And then — soup emergency. My sister planned to make home made chicken soup, with both noodles and matzo balls.  She made the matzo balls, but …she opened the package of chicken …somehow the chicken was spoiled.  
 
Ben’s Kosher Deli to the rescue.  There’s a location in Carle Place, about five and a half miles from my house. As you can imagine, a Jewish deli is crazy busy just before a Jewish holiday.  They weren’t taking orders on the web or over the phone,  I had to stand in line forever! But I was able to get four quarts of chicken noodle soup.  Not quite as good as home made, but an acceptable substitute under the circumstances.


And yes, I know … if this is the worst thing that happened to us, we did pretty well. Thanks for allowing me to kvetch. It was a joy to have my family at my table last night.  It will be a pleasure to have my friends at my table tonight.

L’shana Tova.  Happy New Year.




Comments

  1. oh my cod, dee mum iz now cravin sum latkes ! Shanah tovah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you could find the soup! I've had chicken that smelled when you opened the package, there is no was to miss that smell.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spoiled chicken? Yikes. It's great that you were able to get soup from somewhere, considering the timing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Apple cider doughnuts sound so yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Spoiled chicken - yuck. I've never thought of apple cider donuts. We made Tori Avey's apple honeycake (with some modifications for Weight Watchers), which, sadly, isn't gluten free, but both of us can eat it. Shanah tovah, Songbird.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like quite the adventure leading up to a beautiful holiday dinner! Despite all the running around, it's clear how much effort and love went into making everything perfect for your family and friends. Hope the second night is just as wonderful! I just posted new content, I invite you to read https://www.melodyjacob.com/2024/10/are-you-failing-to-recognize-symptoms-of-anxiety-or-depression.html

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

Music Monday

Ultimate Blog Party!!!!