This and that

 So when the repairman was here last weekend, he noticed another problem …plumber is coming today because we may have a broken sewer pipe …not surprising in a 70 year old house.

That’s something our former landlord didn’t understand.  I actually asked him “It’s a 70 year old house, what did you expect?” Glad he’s no longer our problem. 

As tenants, we aren’t responsible for the repairs …but we are inconvenienced.  Sigh. And I thought pine needles trying to invade my house were a problem …

This year we don’t even have to worry about pine cones or pine needles.  No pine trees in our new yard.  We don’t have any trees, though there is a tree in our neighbor’s yard and the branches reach over the fence …but the falling leaves aren’t a serious concern.

 I’m not a basketball fan, couldn’t identify anyone who plays in the WNBA, but I still feel a bit of hometown pride that the Liberty are the champions and will have a ticker tape parade down Broadway tomorrow. I went to many such parades when I worked in Lower Manhattan — the ‘86 Mets, John Glenn, the Vietnam veterans and several celebrations of the New York Yankees.  There’s nothing like the party they throw in the Canyon of Heroes.

I also went to the Islanders’ victory parade in 1982, but that was different.  I was a student at Hofstra Law School, just down the road from the Islanders’ home at the Nassau Coliseum.  They paraded down Hempstead Turnpike, right past the school.  We all turned out for our Islanders.

I’m still a bit sad about the Mets…I can’t help but wonder if there’s a ticker tape parade for the Yankees in the near future. I don’t work downtown anymore but I’m sure the parade would be on TV.  I’m not a Yankees fan, but I’d probably watch the parade.

But first, the World Series.  It starts Friday night in Los Angeles.  It’ll be tinged with sadness …Fernando Valenzuela, one of the Dodgers’ biggest stars of the 80’s, died yesterday. I’m sure he will be recognized Friday night. 

Drew, being a loyal Mets fan, is rooting for “ABTY” (anyone but the Yankees) while I am rooting for the Yankees.

The parade I’m looking forward to?  Thanksgiving, of course.  This year Macy’s is adding a Minnie Mouse balloon …the balloons usually wind up at Universal in Florida afterwards, can’t help but wonder …

Comments

  1. Do you go to the parade in person? I've not watched an entire one on TV for years. They've changed, or I have, not sure which. My brother was/is a Dodgers fan, my father the S.F. Giants, which was our home team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw Valenzuela pitch against the Pirates in Pittsburgh when he was still hot. He pitched a great game and there was hardly anyone there to watch it. He was a good one, at least for a few years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were talking on the radio this morning about Friday. Dodgers' game. I think there's a basketball game. Then there are like 3 concerts, all in a similar location. The DJ was saying, "Stay home Friday". It's gonna be busy. Then the joke was something akin to, "Just practicing for the traffic for the Olympics..."

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Dad worked in the financial district (not in finance) and I wonder if he saw any of the ticker tape parades. He never did talk about any. You bring back some memories, watching ticker tape parades for the astronauts on TV.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you’re in the Financial District during a parade, you know it even if you aren’t standing on Broadway. They tend to be very loud and very messy.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

Music Monday

Ultimate Blog Party!!!!