The thankless task of a group administrator


Did you know I am an unwell narcissist?  Apparently I am, because a neuropsychologist I encountered on Facebook has diagnosed me as such, and she couldn’t possibly be wrong, could she?  πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£

I am actually more amused than upset about what happened.  Sitting here rolling my eyes. πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„

I am an administrator/moderator for several Facebook groups.  It means I make sure the rules are followed and I keep the peace if there are conflicts between members.  It’s purely voluntary.  The only thing I get out of being an administrator is making sure my groups don’t get shut down by Facebook.  I like my groups, I want to keep them around.

But it does mean I have to deal with the crazy every now and then.

So you know I love history.  I’m on the mailing list for history.com.  Every day I get an email listing 8-10 events that happened on that day in history.  I read through the list, and I usually choose one or two items to share with the group.

On Sunday my choice met with the disapproval of one of our members.  She posted something really nasty, deleted it, and posted something less nasty but still disparaging my choice.  That I should have chosen something else instead.  I messaged her, told her that if she didn’t like what I posted, she should just ignore it and move on.  She replied that I was “harassing” her and that I should not message her again.

Then she messaged the other administrator and went on a tirade.  “Power-hungry narcissist” was the nicest thing she said about me.  She’s a neuropsychologist so she “knows” that I am unwell.  Really?  

The other administrator booted her from the group. Apparently she had a prior history of being rude and attacking other group members.

I don’t get paid enough …  πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£

Seriously … if you’re a member of a Facebook group, please be kind to the folks who run the place.

Comments

  1. First, a "thank you" to you and other administrators of FB groups, especially the group that is a COVID support group for my county. Their administrators have had their share of the crazy, as you can imagine. Also, I am a friend of a Facebook co-administrator of a music group. I've known him for, oh, 50 years. It's definitely a thankless job. His co administrator does that for at least two Facebook groups and keeps both groups friendly and welcoming. I suspect he's a saint. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Now I'm curious what historical event got her into that lather. People are crazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s a doozy. I spent the better part of June posting about various events that led to the signing of the Declaration of Independence. Stuff like “today Richard Henry Lee introduced the resolution on independence” and “Edward Rutledge of South Carolina opposed independence”.
      On July 2 I posted about the movie “Men in Black”. She replied that we shouldn’t be celebrating Will Smith, we should be celebrating the day that the Continental Congress adopted the resolution on independence.
      When I replied that pop culture is important to historians and he should ignore my posts if she didn’t like them, she went ballistic.
      Sigh.

      Delete
    2. Oh wow. The things that set some people off...

      Delete
  3. OMG! That person just needs to get over herself. If you don't enjoy a post, then go find one you do enjoy. Goodness knows, there are plenty of blogs out there.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A