I think I may have done it

 I think I may have done something I will live to regret.

Remember last week I mentioned that Drew and I saw a community theater production of The Mikado?  The group that presented the performance is devoted to presenting the works of Gilbert and Sullivan.  Drew has been involved with the group, on and off, for decades.   He last graced the stage about 13 years ago, and then dropped out because he was busy with his job and other commitments.

But we have several friends who are actively involved in the group, so we try to see each year’s production.

When we saw The Mikado, we found out that next year the group will stage Princess Ida.   I’m not familiar with familiar with that work, but Drew got all excited about being in next year’s show.  He bought the libretto and he’s re-learning the ensemble parts.  

Well, Drew had his annual 4th of July barbecue Sunday, and one of the guests currently sits on the board of the theater group.  Drew told his friend “I’m really thinking of participating next year.”

And then I did it.  When our friend said “we need a lot of people for the ensemble”, I replied “I might join, too.”

Oh. My. Goodness.



Did I really say that?


I come from a theater-loving family.  My parents taught us to love live theater and live music.  My younger sisters (the twins) actually earned college degrees in musical theater.  I never considered myself in their league, but I did enjoy acting and singing when I was growing up.

I mean, I was very active in drama club in junior high and high school, and I also sang in the junior high chorus.  I took a couple of acting classes in college, and appeared in a one-act play that was staged by a theater major student.  

But I haven’t done anything … theatrical … since college.  

But I can’t disappoint our friend …


So …


I think I need to learn a bit more about Princess Ida.

Comments

  1. I've learned, in my later years, that discomfort is sometimes an indicator of "I really need to do this". I hope that's true for you. I think you'll like the plot of Princess Ida, not that I know much about it. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might be fun. It's not like you'll be the star. Being in the ensemble will give you a chance to dip a toe in and see if you enjoy it. I hope you do it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday