Memories

 Facebook has this wonderful feature called “Memories”.  It’s a record of everything you posted, organized by month and day.  If you access “Memories” today, for example, you’ll see what you posted on July 28, 2021, what you posted on July 28, 2016, etc.  You can access “Memories “ from your menu.

But if you post to Facebook frequently, your “Memories “ are likely to show up in your news feed.

I see my “Memories” in my news feed every day.

Most people have several records of their memories.  I have this blog, for example, as well as Photobucket and Google Photos.    If I want to know what I was doing in the summer of 2015, I can look at blog entries or search my photo albums.

But notice how I phrased that.  I have to actively search through my records.  With Facebook, someone else has curated my posts.  The memories are there for my perusal.  

And the way they’re organized…I’m starting to see patterns.  Ball games, concerts, vacations.  Whines about my commute on the railroad (thankfully I’m no longer a prisoner of the LIRR).  Family events that I don’t share to the blog.  Political posts (some of those are scary in their accuracy of what we were predicting).



That’s a photo of Neil Sedaka at Westbury Music Fair.  I posted it on July 28, 2012, when we saw him in concert.

That same summer we saw Neil Diamond at Jones Beach.  And we saw Barry Manilow at Radio City Music Hall.  

And Drew joked that we were seeing “the old Jewish singers tour” because Manilow, Diamond and Sedaka are all Jewish.  (In fact, Sedaka and Drew are possibly related…Drew’s mother and Edyie Gorme were cousins, and Gorme and Sedaka are cousins…) 

I remember the concerts, I remember that summer.

But until I saw the photo on Facebook this morning, I had to idea that those concerts were 10 years ago.

Comments

  1. Those memories can be tricky, when something pops up that reminds you of a tragedy. I barely post to FB, so I have nothing to look up. It sounds great for you, though. It's amazing how time flies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Time does fly, doesn't it. My FB memories are fewer and fewer. I used to post a lot more personal stuff on Facebook years ago; I even posted travel pictures when I was still out of town (definitely not recommended but I was more naive back then). And, as Liz says, not all memories are good ones. FB doesn't know the difference. But, for many, the feature does work. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never heard of photo bucket.
    Coffee is on and stay safe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday