Funny Girl

 As a longtime fan of Broadway musicals, I would be remiss if I did not talk about Funny Girl.

The Broadway show, a semi-biographical adaptation of the life of comedienne Fanny Brice, was produced in 1964, and became a starring vehicle for Barbra Streisand.  Barbra won an Oscar when she reprised the role in the 1968 movie.

It was never revived on Broadway, because who could willingly take on such an iconic role so closely identified with the great Barbra Streisand?

Enter Beanie Feldstein.  Best known as a film actress, she did appear on the Broadway stage in a supporting role in the revival of Hello, Dolly!   I wasn’t really familiar with her work.  It was announced last year that Beanie would star in a revival of Funny Girl, and immediately those of us her in the NYC were inundated with commercials in which Beanie recited the iconic line, “Hello, Gorgeous.”

Of course Drew and I wanted to see the show.  We bought tickets before the show even began previews.  

The show opened in April to (how shall I put it?) “mixed reviews”.  The consensus was Beanie was miscast. 

And then came the Tony Awards, and the show did not garner any nominations except for Best Supporting Actor.

That is not good news in the cutthroat world of Broadway musicals.  The box office began to crash and burn.  And some backstage drama was brewing.

Of course, Drew and I (and the rest of the public) were unaware of the impending storm when we saw the show June 29.    Personal opinion?  I wanted to love the show, I wanted to love Beanie.  Overall I enjoyed the show, but I also felt that Beanie was miscast, she didn’t fit the part and couldn’t carry the show.

  

Enter Lea Michele.  She was one of the stars of Glee, a show watched by my daughters in their high school and/or college days.  I’ve been tangentially aware of her as a performer ( I did  a post awhile  back about Sephardic Jewish singers), I’ve always enjoyed  her work, but I’ve never really called myself a fan.

Well, apparently Lea has been “auditioning” for the role of Fanny Brice since her Glee days.


  

And at the Tony Awards.


So, as I said, the box office isn’t doing well, the investors are not happy.  Beanie is out as of July 31, and Lea will take on the role in September. 

And my news feed is full of gossip about why Beanie is leaving (did she quit or was she fired?) and Lea’s reputation as a diva who treats her cast mates badly.

I guess Broadway thrives on backstage drama.

I’m not on Team Beanie or Team Lea.  I understand why Beanie is being replaced and I know Lea will do well in the part.  If Lea can’t save the show … it cannot be saved.

I can’t wait to see what happens in September.

Read more about it here.

Comments

  1. Interesting. I saw a thing about Beanie being cast and how she was "born for the role". Apparently that clip was all hype? It's too bad. I was rooting for her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hype. She did well on the comic sections of the show, e g. the pregnant bride

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday