#skywatchfriday --Citi Field

So it occurred to me...

Whenever I post about being at Citi Field, I always have to mention the airplanes.

Well. the planes are very much a part of the Citi Field experience.

If you look at the map, you can see why.




That area of the map marked "East Elmhurst", that's La Guardia Airport.    the flight path often goes right over the ball park.

So this is a common site:









And once I actually caught this shot:


 #skywatchfriday

I'm sure you've all seen Men In Black.  The original film, not the sequels.

My favorite scene takes place at Shea Stadium, Citi Field's predecessor.  (Keep in mind, Citi Field was built in the Shea parking lot, the current parking lot for Citi Field is on the site of the former Shea Stadium.)    The bug, having taken a flying saucer from the ruins of the New York State Pavilion, a remnant of the 1964-1965 New York World's Fair, and flies over Shea.  There's a ball game in progress, and an outfielder misses a play because he sees the saucer.  But no one else in the stadium reacts. they all must have assumed it was just another plane.

It's a funny scene, of course.  But if you know that the Pavilion is thisclose to the ball park (if you look at the map, you'll see the site of the Pavilion right near the Hall of Science and the Queens Museum), and if you know how close the ball park is to the airport, and how many planes fly overhead,  the scene is absolutely hysterical.

Just another NYC curiosity ...

Comments

  1. I attended several games at Shea in my teenaged years - the last one in 1973 - have never been to Citi Field - and, of course, I had also been to the World's Fair several times, too (and once to the Hall of Science with my then-young son.) Enjoyed your "map" - believe it or not, I've never used Google Maps in that area. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Most curious comment on your post? the exchange of parking lot for new stadium. Boggles my mind.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool shots... never realized the close proximity to La Guardia. Loved that scene in MIB movie!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wonder if those people on the plane look down and see any of the games. They're probably too high to really see anything. Then again...

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I’ve flown out of Ka Guardia I’ve seen the ballpark, but yes, you’re too high up to see the games.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A