Another this and that

We are having a barbecue today, the first of the season. We usually host a barbecue around Memorial Day, but had to cancel this year.  So I’m happy that we get to see everyone today.

We didn’t have a barbecue on the 4th.  Instead, we went out to lunch with friends, to a seafood restaurant.  Had to have some lobster ... 

But otherwise we stayed home on the 3rd and the 4th.  Sometimes you just need to stay home and relax.

And we caught up on some TV.  We DVR’d a few things — the NBC special presentation of Jesus Christ Superstar from last Easter, an episode of “Live From Lincoln Center” starring Sutton Foster, and a PBS special about a Jewish town in Greece that was decimated in the Holocaust.  Drew had a special interest in the Greek Jews, his mother’s family emigrated from Greece.  And Sutton Foster - well, we had seen her in Anything Goes and Thoroughly Modern Millie; she’s one of our favorite Broadway stars.


There were fireworks in the neighborhood, of course.  It’s illegal here in New York, but people do it anyway.  We watched the Macy’s fireworks on TV,  and then we watched more fireworks, from Washington, D.C., on PBS.

But we had to wait until last night to see LIVE professional fireworks.  There was a show after the Ducks game.  We tend to pick games that include fireworks.


26 years ago, Drew and Jen and I had the chance to see the Macy’s fireworks live, but had to decline the offer. I was working in Jersey City at the time, in a building with windows overlooking the Hudson, and the fireworks were presented on the Hudson that year.  My employer opened up the office that night so employees and their families could watch the fireworks in comfort.   But my due date was July 4, and I was on maternity leave,  and I didn’t want to be so far away from our home in Queens “just in case”.  So we stood on the balcony of our apartment and watched the fireworks in the neighborhood instead.  We hoped there would be another opportunity to see the fireworks live, but that never happened. Maybe someday we’ll do the Macy’s fireworks live ...

Yes, we missed the fireworks because Becca was on the way.  Overdue, actually.  Today is Becca’s 26th birthday.  I won’t get to see my baby today, she’s celebrating with her boyfriend. 

Comments

  1. Your children seem to be the same age as my son's Andy will be 30 this up coming September and Leo turn 27 last April. I had to use the calulator to figure the age of my youngest.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying she has a Happy Birthday and you get to see her soon. As for Fireworks e went to my Mother in Laws and watched them with her neighbors. Which was nice for my son as he will have these memories when he grows up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a cousin born in New York City - her Mom's due date was just after the 4th of July and I remember the plans they made in case she went into labor on the night of the 4th. I thought "what's the big deal?" until, in 2013, I spent the night of July 4th visiting an ailing friend in Brooklyn. Wow. I had no idea of the scope of the "unofficial" fireworks. They were literally cleaning the streets of the fireworks debris with backhoes the next morning. No wonder the possible trip to the hospital was planned like a military operation! Well, I hope you get to see the Macy's fireworks one year soon. And P.S. my cousin wasn't born on the 4th. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Birthday to your Becca! Glad you got to see fireworks last night, hope your team won!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was born and raised in NYC on the west side! Macy's fireworks are common for me :-)

    This year, we watched them on tv in NJ. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy birthday to Becca.

    If you like Sutton Foster, you might want to check out the TV show Younger. It's on TV Land, and it stars her. There was also the short-lived Bunheads (which I'd also recommend). I think that was on ABC Family which is now Freeform. But that show is gone, so you'd have to find is streaming someplace.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday