Pro bono friends and family

Back in law school I was introduced to the term “pro bono publico”.  That’s when an attorney donates his or her services to an indigent, a person unable to pay legal fees.

They never warned us about friends and family ...

I spent my morning in traffic court.

Someone (and I won’t mention his name) blew through a stop sign.  

The irony is, that the guilty party always complains about his neighbors ignoring stop signs.

I got him a decent plea bargain, a fine but no points on his license.

Comments

  1. I can imagine a lawyer goes through something like what a doctor goes through. A family friend is a podiatrist and she can never go to a party and tell people what she does-because everyone around her suddenly needs advice. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a totally different concept when I saw the title. I had pro bono relatives for my kids- so they'd have cousins, aunts, uncles, grandparents that were positive role models.
    But, yes, I know the problem with being impressed into service- and for which the thanks is always a little less than complete.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can only imagine the requests that come from friends, family, and acquaintances.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't understand people who takes advantage of someone service. I might a lawyer a simple question at bar. Like "Can I have pagan circle in my yard" it usual a no or yes answer.
    But if I need lawyer more then that. I expect to pay for the service.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah yes, family. If you do tech, your family comes to you when they have computer problems. Family will always take advantage. I guess the trick is to do something that family can't take advantage of. Is there such a thing?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday