Musical Memory

A song popped into my head the other day, an old memory.  Something my grandmother used to sing.

She learned the song at a summer camp on the East End of Long Island.

It must have been an adult camping experience,  my grandmother grew up in a small village in Poland, and immigrated to America as an adult.

It was one of the few songs she'd sing in English, most of the time she would sing in Yiddish, her native tongue.

But she had a wonderful time at the camp.

And I think she could relate to the title character in the story that this song tells.

I'd always thought it was a folk song.  Turns out, the song was written in 1907.  There have been several popular recordings of the song on the country charts.  And it's even made an appearance in a couple of John Wayne movies.

But I also think of it as my grandmother's song.



Found it on YouTube ...



Comments

  1. What a lovely song. I heard of adult camping and also have after work day activity for adult. I can complete understand why there is a need for these...It just get so tiring to be an adult and being responsible.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very catchy tune. Love the banjo. Got my feet tappinf.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is amazing what you can find on YouTube nowadays.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A