I can't even...

My father has been on my mind lately.  Maybe it's because  he passed away two years ago this month.

I remember when we were planning the funeral, the funeral director asked if we wanted military honors.  And we said yes, of course we did.

At age 18, my father did what every able-bodied man of his generation did: he entered military service, donned the uniform of his country, and proudly served.  It wasn't his choice to join the Army, he did so at the behest of the draft board, but he served willingly, and with honor.

And 70 years later, the United States Army sent an honor guard to his funeral.  Two soldiers, in full dress uniform, who took the flag that draped my father's coffin and carefully folded it, then presented that flag to my mother, along with the condolences of the President of the United States and a grateful nation.

Proud tears rolled down my cheeks.

My heart goes out to the young widow, whose husband died in the service of our country, who was reduced to tears by the hurtful words of the current occupant of the White House.  Your job, sir, is to comfort the families of those who willingly give their lives to protect us, not to cause them additional pain.

Comments

  1. My Dad was a disabled vet of the Army Air Force(TBI) in WWII. I am past speechless at how that widow was "consoled" by 45. Please, please, let no more such incidents come to light. Songbird, also: May you be comforted on this sad anniversary. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Alana. I am sure our fathers would cringe if they were alive now, to see the disgrace ....

    ReplyDelete
  3. And then he doubled down on his comment. Shameful.

    I'm so sorry for your loss. At least it happened in a time when the stuff we're seeing hourly wasn't happening. May we soon return to that blissful state.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A