a magical moment

Yesterday, while I was driving to work, I was listening to Scott Shannon on the radio. 

And he was talking about the World Series.  I'm not really paying much attention to the Series this year, there's no New York team in the competition. I'm not rooting for either of the contenders.

But then Scott started talking about when he first came to New York city, and he was fortunate to be given two tickets to Game six of the 1986 World Series, October 25, 1986. Scott's tickets were way out, in left field.  but to be anywhere at Shea that night....


You know what happened in Game Six, after all.

Baseball magic.  The kind of magic that just doesn't happen in other sports.

The Red Sox led the series 3-2, and were poised to win their first World Series title in 68 years.  They scored twice in the top of the 10th inning, and the champagne was cooling in the visiting team locker room.

In the bottom of the 10th, the wee hours of October 26 actually...

Backman flied out.  Hernandez flied out.  It seemed the game was over.

And then....

Carter singled to left.  Mitchell singled.  Knight singled, Carter scored, Mitchell to third. 

Mookie Wilson came to bat. 

Mitchell scored on a wild pitch, Knight to second. 

And then, with a 3-2 count, Wilson hit a blooper up the first base line.

The ball went through Bill Buckner's legs.

Knight scored, and the Mets won!

Game seven, played two days later (thanks to a rain storm)...well, the Mets won handily. 

Drew and I and his buddy Marc watched that game in the basement of Drew's parents' house.  After the Red sox scored in the top of the 10th, we were sure the Red Sox were headed to the championship.  By the time Knight came to bat, we were on our feet, cheering and screaming as if we were at Shea. 

Vin Scully's epic call of wilson's at-bat, a magical moment that will live forever in baseball history.

Comments

  1. So, it's been hot. Really hot. 105 degree days hot. This is what I was thinking last night and the night before as they started to play. It was still hot at 5 PM. I know, because I'm about 30 miles from L.A. so their temps were comparable to ours.

    I'm just wishing for cooler days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I assume you're a Dodgers fan? I hope they win it for you, I'm not a big fan of Houston.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday