Chinese fortune cookie

There's an old joke -- Alan King once used the punch line as the title of his book -- about how a guy goes into a Chinese restaurant and orders dinner. At the end of the meal he is served a fortune cookie.  He breaks open the cookie and reads his fortune:  Help!  I'm a prisoner in a Chinese bakery!

Drew has repeated that joke in countless Chinese restaurants all over Long Island.

And then, about a year ago, he opened a fortune cookie and began to laugh.

I almost fell off the chair when I read his fortune:  Help, I'm a prisoner in a Chinese fortune cookie factory.


That the person known for making the joke is the one to get the fortune...

I didn't think he could ever top that.

Until the other night, when we got Chinese take out. He got an empty fortune cookie.  Just a plain cookie, no fortune inside.  Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

He said, "I had a fortune that predicted this."

I was skeptical. "Prove it."

But it seems that Drew saves his fortunes. Or, at least, the funny ones.  He showed me his collection,

Sure enough, he had one that said:  Your next fortune cookie will be empty.

Sometimes lightning does strike twice.

Comments

  1. I use to pack my hubby lunch and I would put in a chinese cookie...He would come home and tell me..."You will die in a fire crush"...everyone of them, come on now.
    Coffee is on

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Too weird. I guess they've developed a sense of humor about those fortunes.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Blogging from A to Z — we start with the letter A