Songbird's Crazy World

So I guess NaBloPoMo works, because each month that I participate, this blog gains a few new readers.  And I also seem to find a lot of new and interesting blogs to read.

So I figured, now might be a good time to reintroduce myself. 

I am known as "Songbird" not because of my beautiful singing voice (I can carry a tune, I think, but that's about it), but because of my love of music.  I love a variety of musical genres:  folk, pop, rock, Broadway, Gilbert & Sullivan, classical.  YouTube is a treasure trove of old videos and current tunes.
You should see what's loaded onto my iPod.  Expect a video or song lyrics to pop up on this blog every now and then.

I love movies, old and new.  I tend to see most of the summer blockbusters each year, and also some of the more serious films, the type that earn Oscar nominations.  I loved The Grand Budapest Hotel, glad it was recognized by the Academy.  The last movie I saw in a theater was Disney's live-action Cinderella.  I am really looking forward to The Avengers: Age  of Ultron this simmer. I can recite dialogue verbatim from Casablanca, I know all the songs from Singin' In the Rain, and no one has to explain "Rosebud" to me.  Expect movie reviews.

TV?  But of course!  Current favorites include Forever, Grimm, Helix, Survivor and The Voice.  Classic favorites include Star Trek (in all its permutations), M*A*S*H, The Golden Girls and E.R.  Haven't done a TV review in a long time, but who knows what I might find interesting?

If you're not from NYC or Long Island, you can ignore my restaurant reviews.  I tend to eat out often, I like everything from fast food chains to fine dining, and I like a variety of cuisines, including Chinese, Thai, Japanese, Asian Fusion, Greek, Italian, Brazilian, Turkish, Caribbean... I cross post on Urbanspoon, occasionally someone will like one of my reviews, and decide to come and stay and read the rest of the blog.

With an undergraduate degree in history, and a minor in English, you know I like to read.  My interests are varied.  I don't usually discuss my books in this blog, but occasionally I may do a book review. 

But a trip review will frequently include historical sites.  I'm not planning a real vacation this year, but I'll probably do a few day trips this summer, and you just know history will be involved in at least one of those trips. 

You won't be hearing my about my job (I'm an insurance attorney) or my politics (I tend to save that for Facebook).  I describe myself as "a nice Jewish girl", so topics related to my ethnic/religious identity may pop up from time to time.

But now we come to the heart of the matter.  Who is Songbird, really?  And why is her world so crazy? 

Let's start with Drew.  How many people do you know who are dating their ex husband?  And considering the level of acrimony in our divorce, who could ever have imagined we'd be back together? 

But there you are.

No, we aren't living together.  He rents a house with two other men.  It's  weird situation, very stressful for him right now.  I'm at his house often.

But I  live with 7 of my nearest and dearest:  my elderly parents, my three sisters, and my two twenty-something daughters.  

Add in Drew's extended family, especially his sister and his uncle, and you have a crazy bunch of people, fodder for the likes of Dr. Phil I think.

So hello, welcome, stick around and let's get to know each other.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday