I feel like going surfing in a hurricane....

Jimmy Buffett lyric on the brain ...popped into my head when I saw the high surf advisory for Long Island due to Hurricane Danielle and Hurricane Earl.

Long Island has been very lucky of late, hurricanes don't hit us directly, we only get the tidal surge and rough surf.

I think the last big hurricane to hit us was Gloria -- and that was in the mid 80's.  I was living in Brooklyn at the time and working in lower Manhattan, and when they closed my office building that morning due to high winds I made my way home in a subway ssytem that was starting to flood....

In the 90's there was Floyd, which did horrible damage to New Jersey but passed over Long Island with barely a whisper...

Of course, the newspapers always talk about 1938, the great unnamed hurricane that devastated Long island. 

I have a feeling we're due for a bad one this year....

Comments

  1. 1976, Belle, the storm that met the Long Island south shore and cried defeat.

    I wasn't even on LI when Gloria hit, but she felled many trees in my mom's back yard and put many feet of sand into the tunnel at Gilgo-to the point that you couldn't go through until the Town cleared it out the following May.

    Unfortunately, Long Island is overdue. Batten down the hatches.f

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday