an evening of theater

live theater is my passion, but lately I haven't had much chance to indulge that passion.

went to the theater Friday night. dinner at my favorite Thai restaurant, Pongs Ri -- I had the Thai salad with peanut dressing and the Bangkok chicken -- deep fried white meat with a sweet-spicy chili sauce.

then we saw Next to Normal. The Wiki entry:

Next to Normal is a musical with book and lyrics by Brian Yorkey and music by Tom Kitt. Its story concerns a mother who struggles with worsening bipolar disorder and the effect that her illness has on her family. The play also addresses such issues as grieving a loss, suicide, drug abuse, ethics in modern psychiatry, and suburban life.
if I tell you the show's a bit...weird...

Act one was too long, I kep waiting for the crisis to happen so we could get to the intermission. Act two was much better. the music is great, the plot weird, and very thought-provoking. I found myself getting sucked into the story.

not for the casual theatergoer, but it was an ...interesting...evening.

Comments

  1. I'm guessing I wouldn't care for the show. But, just the same, it would be nice to go into Manhattan and see something on Broadway. Hey, I'd even settle for a show off-Broadway.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday