Saturday 9

 

The Star Spangled Banner

Welcome to Saturday: 9. What we've committed to our readers is that we will post 9 questions every Saturday. Sometimes the post will have a theme, and at other times the questions will be totally unrelated. Those weeks we do "random questions," so-to-speak. We encourage you to visit other participants posts and leave a comment. Because we don't have any rules, it is your choice. We hate rules. We love memes, however, and here is today's meme!

Saturday 9: The Star Spangled Banner (1991)
... because Thursday was the 4th of July and we're still celebrating!

Unfamiliar with this Whitney's rendition? Hear it here.

1) Whitney Houston originally performed this in front of over 73,000 at the 1991 Super Bowl. What's the biggest crowd you have ever been in?

Probably Paul McCartney’s concert at Citi Field, which was recorded as “Good Evening NYC”.  Or maybe it was the Bon Jovi concert at MetLife Stadium right after it opened.

Unless you want to count … yes, I was one of the 470,000 who attended the Women’s March in Washington, DC on January 21, 2017.

2) Whitney's version of The National Anthem was released 10 years later, after 9/11, and the proceeds went to support New York's first responders. It was her last Top Ten single. What's your favorite Whitney Houston song?

“I Will Always Love You”

3) Whitney's friends recall she loved lavender -- both the color and the scent.What's your favorite color? What's your favorite scent?

I also love anything purple and I like lavender, but I think I prefer roses as a scent/cologne.

4) Whitney had a sweet tooth and loved Fruity Pebbles. If you reached for a snack right now, would it be sweet or salty?

Both?  Maybe chocolate dipped potato chips?

5) Whitney's grave marker bears the words, "I Will Always Love You," so clearly her family is proud of her best-selling recording. How would you like to be remembered?

As a good mother to my children, as a strong and independent woman.

6) Going back to 1991, when this recording was first popular, consumers who had a cell phones likely had flip phones. Technology has come a long way, hasn't it? What did you most recently use your cell phone for? (Calling, texting, looking something up, taking a photo, posting on your blog or social media ...)

Correction, the flip phone was first sold in 1996,  the cell phone I had in the early 90’s was huge, almost like carrying a brick in my purse.  And there was no battery life; if you wanted to speak to me, you’d call my pager, then I’d turn on the phone and return your call.  And yes, I had a flip phone in the late 90’s.

I love my smart phone.  I have a Google Pixel 3A, and will likely upgrade to the  Pixel 8 soon.  Most recent activity on the phone is an old fashioned phone call.




7) In 1777, Colonists celebrated July 4 with the firing of cannons and muskets, followed by a public reading of the Declaration of Independence. What did your neighborhood to to celebrate 
the 4th of July? 

I don’t know for certain because I was at a baseball game (with fireworks afterwards) but I suspect there were a lot of folks shooting off fireworks in the streets, even though they’re illegal here in NY.

8) The Revolutionary War still raged during that summer of 1777. General George Washington allowed his soldiers to celebrate with a double ration of run on July 4. Do you know anyone who is serving in the military this 4th of July?

No.

9) Celebrity chef Rachael Ray says she considers mini-hamburgers, or "sliders," the All-American food. What will/did you dine on to celebrate the 4th of July? 

We were at a baseball game.  I had a hot dog and fries.




Thanks so much for joining us again at Saturday: 9. As always, feel free to come back, see who has participated and comment on their posts. In fact sometimes, if you want to read & comment on everyone's responses, you might want to check back again tomorrow. But it is not a rule. We haven’t any rules here. Join us on next Saturday for another version of Saturday: 9, "Just A Silly Meme on a Saturday!" Enjoy your weekend!


Comments

  1. You had a cell phone in the early '90s? Wow, ritzy. I knew someone in college who had a cell phone, but he wouldn't show us. (We asked. We didn't want to call anyone. We just wanted to see it.) My brother got his first cell phone in the late '90s. I didn't get one until 2004/5ish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had two very young children and didn’t want to get stuck somewhere.

      Delete
  2. It must have been great to be a part of the women's march. Did you take any pictures? Being a good mother is important to me. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I blogged about it https://songbirdscrazyworld.blogspot.com/2017/01/the-womens-march-on-washington.html

      Delete
  3. My 1996 Ford Taurus had a built in phone--it was huge and clunky.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My parents had those monster phones in their vehicles. I had a CB radio!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had the brick phone also in the early 90's.
    I considered a baseball game with fireworks for the 4th, but it was so hot and humid and a storm was moving in. Loved your answers! Have a nice weekend.

    https://lorisbusylife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw Sir Paul at Wrigley Field. It made the night more special to have it there, where my beloved Cubs play.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m sure it did. It’s always better closer to home,

      McCartney was the very first performer at Citi Field. There was something about that concert that heartened back to the Beatles at Shea Stadium in 1964. McCartney had joined Billy Joel for the Last Play at Shea. For this Mets fan…emotional overload.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

Music Monday

Ultimate Blog Party!!!!