Goodbye Redford

 


So Monday afternoon and I’m in the middle of unpacking everything I own in my new house …and Jen sends me a text: Redford isn’t doing well.  We’re at the vet with him now. It’s not good.   I think we’re going to have to say goodbye today.

The message was not unexpected, not a surprise. I posted in March 2023 that I was concerned…

By now you know Redford’s story.  You’ll find some posts in this blog from January 2011 about an orange cat, a stray who planted himself on our front porch and (after my sister fed him) refused to leave.  He was a full grown tomcat, but after we took him in, cleaned him up and fed him, he turned out to be a sweetie.   My sister named him Redford.  Bob Redford, actually, on account of his color and naturally bobbed tail.  (Think he might be part Manx?). The vet said he was likely between 2 and 4 years old.  So he’s been a member of our family 13 years.  Cats have an average lifespan of 12-18 years.  

You can read about Redford’s exploits here, and here, and here. And there was one memorable Passover …

She texted me again to tell me that they had to say goodbye.  That she was very upset but it was the right thing to do.

He was a good cat, a loyal cat, a delightful member of our family. 

When Ann wrote Pawkisses from Heaven I cried for Little Binky.

Now it’s our turn to cry. 

Goodbye, Redford.  I hope you knew how much you are loved. 



Comments

  1. Oh, I'm so sorry. You posted about him just a few weeks ago. He was a smart one, knew which house to pick. I have had one orange cat, but he and others I've known were the nicest cats ever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both Redford and his best buddy Mr. Kitty were what we called “self rescued” because they found us, not the other way around. I used to joke about the sign in our back yard welcoming stray cats …

      Delete
  2. I'm so sorry for yours and your family's loss.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

Music Monday

Ultimate Blog Party!!!!