Blogging from A to Z. — the letter Z

 And the final post of the challenge.


Z is for zoo.


I am fortunate to live in the suburbs of New York City, where the Wildlife Conservation Society manages multiple facilities:  the Queens Zoo, the Prospect Park Zoo in Brooklyn, the Central Park Zoo, the New York Aquarium in Coney Island, and the Bronx Zoo, by which I judge all other zoos.  

When you become a member of WCS you have access to all of their facilities.  Drew and I are members.  I’ve never been to the Prospect Park Zoo, but I have spent time in all of the other facilities.

Here are photos from the Queens Zoo.  It’s a small zoo, with an aviary, American wildlife and even a few domestic animals.










Here are some photos from the aquarium.  It’s a small aquarium (the ones we saw in Mystic and Baltimore had far more extensive collections), but it’s right on the beach and adjacent to the amusement area.







And the Bronx Zoo.  It’s magnificent, one of the best zoos in the country, if not the world.











  





If you want to see lions and elephants and giraffes, please enjoy this video I put together in  2011.

  


I can’t seem to find my photos from the Central Park Zoo.  Guess that means I have to go back.

Not that that’s a bad thing. 




Comments

  1. I grew up in the Bronx, and spent many happy hours in the Bronx Zoo as a child. I remember a number of the natural habitats being built and I could have lived in the walk through aviary. I was last there when my son was young, so it was sometime in the 1990's. I've been to some world class zoos (including the San Diego Zoo)and yes, it's right up there with them. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss living where there are zoos and aquariums. If I'd done the A-Z this year I was going to do Zoos for my Z of Places I've Been. Probably next year... I like those museums that give you access to others by being a member. We did that in CA with Chabot Space and Science Center. We didn't necessarily go to that one most, but it had the lowest annual membership and got into the others free!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoo is perfect - thanks for sharing your photos and congrats on finishing the A to Z!

    My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like you've had a lot of good times there. I think our best zoo is San Diego, but it's been decades since I've been back.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Closes zoo for me would be Seattle or Calgary.
    Coffee is on, and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday