Blogging from A to Z —the letter S

 “Space, the final frontier.  These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise.   Its five year mission:  To explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations, to boldly go where no man has gone before.”

Yes, even if you’re not a fan, I’m sure you recognize the words.  You probably heard William Shatner’s voice in your head; the version Patrick Stewart recited is slightly different.

I’ve been a Star Trek fan since the 1960’s.  I’ve watched every incarnation of the show on broadcast tv, I’ve seen every movie.  I haven’t seen most of the new shows that are only available on streaming services (yet), though I do like Picard.  

In my younger days I used to buy the novels and  merchandise related to the show (I still have a tribble), and even went to a few conventions.

My favorite Star Trek memory?  December 1979.  I was in college in Albany, NY.  A group of us wanted to see the brand-new movie, Star Trek:The Motion Picture.  Back then, as you know, you couldn’t buy movie tickets in advance.  You had to go to the theater and wait on line the day of the show.  

The theater across the street from campus was showing the movie.  The four of us walked across the street and got on line for the early show, but there were so many other people in front of us … we didn’t think we’d get in, that we’d have to stand outside, in the cold, for over two hours for the late show.

The doors opened and people started buying tickets and going inside. Just as it was our turn, the ushers announced that the theater was full.  Ok, we thought, we will be first on line for the late show.

And then … the usher came out again.  He asked us “There are four seats in the very first row of the theater.  Do you want them?”

We had missed all the coming attractions, but we got to our seats just before the movie started.



If it weren’t for Star Trek, I would never have discovered Asimov or Heinlein or Bradbury or Vonnegut…

So yes, Star Trek makes me very happy.

Comments

  1. I was in junior high when Star Trek debuted. I watched the first season on our black and white TV but then I befriended someone in my apartment building whose parents had a color TV and they let us watch some of the second season episodes in color. I was already a SF fan. It still amazes me to think of the impact Star Trek had on our lives and technological developments. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. The movie bugged me. Kirk always said he'd die alone, and then he didn't. (Unless my memory is playing tricks on me.) I like the original, and Next Generation. Some Deep Space Nine, but not the others.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My son Sawyer couldn't relate to Captain Kurt. But he could the next generation.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember watching Star Trek on TV as a child -- not sure what happened, though I know they were always in conflict with a big cube as a spaceship and that "resistance is futile". I should probably rewatch them, but I'm not sure it will have the same feeling with all the tech updates and such making older shows seem somehow not as good as they used to be. I did like the new movies where Leonard Nimoy did an appearance as Spock from a different timeline.

    Ronel visiting for S:
    My Languishing TBR: S
    Speedy Steeds

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never watched it but I watched The Big Bang Theory where it's often referenced :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What did you think of the Picard finale? I haven't seen all of the new shows, but I did see Discovery, which was better than I expected. So, I'll get to Strange New Worlds and the others eventually.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday