Blogging from A to Z —- the letter X


I thought this would be a hard one.  But …

 Xenophilia or xenophily is the love for, attraction to, or appreciation of foreign people, manners, customs, or cultures. It is the antonym of xenophobia or xenophoby. The word is a modern coinage from the Greek "xenos" and "philia", though the word itself is not found in classical Greek. 

I am somewhat of a xenophile.  I like reading about foreign cultures.  I enjoy travel, though I haven’t done nearly enough of that. I speak a little Spanish, I studied Hebrew, I’ve always wanted to learn French.  

And I really enjoy ethnic/foreign foods.

Let’s go to that Italian place for some calamari, chicken Marsala, eggplant rollatini.

Or do you prefer the Greek place?  Moussaka or gyros, perhaps?  You had me at  tzatziki.

Schnitzel at the German place?  Or kielbasa and cabbage at the Polish restaurant?  

French?  We can get coq au vin.

Tacos from the Mexican place or ropa vieja from the Cuban?

Too bad the Croatian place closed.

Oh, you want Asian food?  Chinese? Spare ribs and fried rice.

Maybe we should do Japanese instead, the hibachi place has good sushi.

Or Korean.  It’s been awhile since I’ve had Bulgogi or Bibimbap.


I didn’t realize that blogging would make me so hungry …

Comments

  1. You are fortunate to live where you do. The selection of food from other lands here is better than it used to be, but we've also lost a number of good restaurants. We have a number of Thai restaurants. We now have a Peruvian restaurant here - the man who owns and runs it (one man operation!) used to run a food truck in downtown Binghamton and his food was so good. My husband would much rather stay at home and do the cooking, but I still hope to convince him to go to that restaurant one day. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry to piggyback on Alana's comment, it took my V comment, but had an error here.
      I used to live in CA, in the San Francisco Bay Area, where you could get such a choice. No more. This little valley is pretty plain. There is a Peruvian food cart. Most is American-whatever... I miss good Chinese and Indian, which are pretty basic "foreign" foods! We do have authentic Mexican restaurants.

      Delete
  2. I love the word xenophilia and it makes a terrific X post! Now, I'm hungry, too...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great to live in an area with so many different transplants. We're not LA proper, which has more of a selection, but there's definitely quite a bit of choice in my area. Alas, I'm an incredibly picky eater, so I don't enjoy quite as many foods as you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. In Sandpoint they have Ty food. I think it would be an hour drive to expand my taste palate.
    Coffee is on and stafe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember using that word as a flash fiction prompt in an old A-Z challenge.

    Donna McNicol - My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday