Blogging from A to Z — the letter L

 “L” is for law.

Not the usual response to a question about what makes a person happy,  but then again …  think about what I do for a living,

I have always had a fascination for the law.  

My Aunt Sonia lived with us until I was 8 years old, and I remember her watching the old Perry Mason show on TV.  Later, when we’d go visit her, I found her stash of Perry Mason novels.  And I wanted to grow up to become a famous defense attorney just like Perry.

And then in high school … my high school Social Studies teacher decided to put Napoleon Bonaparte on trial for crimes against the people of France.  Every student would play a role — Napoleon, Josephine, French peasant, jury member, etc.  Each student had to write a paper based on the role he or she played in the trial.  I was chosen to be one of Napoleon’s attorneys.  We won.  My first victory as a lawyer.

But not my last.

So yeah, I went to law school.  

Law school is a lot more like The Paper Chase than Legally Blonde, of course.  It’s really about learning how to think, how to analyze, it’s learning how to understand the law and apply it.  Lots of reading involved, lots of logic, lots of writing.  Lots of grunt work punctuated by occasional moot court programs, much like real life.  Not at all like Perry Mason, but …

I liked reading law.  I liked the intellectual challenge.  In all the years since I entered law school, I have never regretted my choice.  I still find law fascinating.  I treasure my victories, I mourn my defeats.  I’ve got some interesting war stories to share.  I’m glad I found a career in a field I find so interesting.

Not everyone is lucky to have a job they enjoy.  

Comments

  1. Law is essential for us because it provides order, stability, justice, and protection for our rights and freedoms.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never worked in a law office, nor do I have any formal training in law, but I happen to work with two people who are also (not our job but they happen to be) paralegals, and, earlier in my career, I had a lot of contact with people in the legal field. Two of my cousins and a cousin's husband are lawyers. You may chuckle at this but I love watching The People's Court and Hot Bench because I enjoy seeing both how judges apply the law and also how they interact with plaintiff and dependent to ascertain the truth of a situation. I realize what I am witnessing is binding arbitration and not "true" small claims court but I also understand the judges on these shows are experienced in the field of law. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Defendent, not dependent. Sigh....Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

      Delete
    2. Judge Judy was actually a judge in NYC before she was a TV judge. So was her husband Gerry.

      Delete
  3. I never had a desire to be a lawyer and in fact I like detective shows better than lawyer shows. I'm glad you were able to go on and practice your dream profession. My uncle was a lawyer and he did have a very logical mind.

    https://findingeliza.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulation.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did enjoy The Paper Chase. For a while, I thought I might want to do law. But, I realized it wasn't really for me. I'm glad you found a profession you enjoy. We need good lawyers who enjoy the law.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great film references. It's important to love what you do.

    Ronel visiting for L:
    My Languishing TBR: L
    Let it Go: Lethe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday