Blogging from A to Z — the letter B

 “B” is for …

Beach.

I live on Long Island (always say on Long Island, never say in Long Island).  The island stretches 110 miles from Manhattan to Montauk, but it’s only 20 miles at its widest point.  So you’re never very far from water — either Long Island Sound or the Atlantic Ocean.

We have an abundance of public beaches.  My favorite beaches are Sunken Meadow State Park (located on the north shore, you can look across the Sound to Connecticut), Robert Moses State Park (on the tip of Fire Island, adjacent to the Fire Island National Seashore and the Fire Island Lighthouse), and Jones Beach, the jewel of New York State Parks.  It’s got a boardwalk with lots of activities, and it’s got an amphitheater for concerts — Jimmy Buffett plays there every summer

Here are a few photos of Sunken Meadow. Nice boardwalk, rocky beach, not too crowded.





A few from Fire Island. The lighthouse is the focus, of course.






And, of course, Jones Beach.  I’ve been there for concerts, for breast cancer walks, for holiday light displays, for air shows.  The art deco architecture is fascinating, I love to go in the off season, walk along the boardwalk when the crowds aren’t there,















  
















Great place, the beach.

Comments

  1. Beautiful beach photos. I live inland, so I haven't been to the beach in ages. And listening to what people said recently about local beaches, I think it will be quite some time before I'll brave it. (I'm in South Africa and we have a bit of an issue right now with health and hygiene at our beaches. Enough said.)

    Ronel visiting for B:
    My Languishing TBR: B
    Birds of Faerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salt water beach is a 5 hour drive. But we have some wonderfully lake beaches.
    Coffee is on and stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My late husband and I lived in West Islip for a while (I worked in Oyster Bay). We had a private (membership included with our rental) beach & boat slip that we'd walk down to but never made it to any of the bigger beaches while there. Great write-up and pics!

    My A to Z Blogs
    DB McNicol - Small Delights, Simple Pleasures, and Significant Memories
    My Snap Memories - My Life in Black & White

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember visiting Jones Beach back in 1969 when I visited my cousin who lived in the East Village at the time. I've usually lived near water. Now I live about 4 hours from the Georgia shore. Luckily one of my daughters lives in Savannah so I get to visit her and the beach.The best time for beaches is the off season.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've got an abundance of beaches. It's nice to have them so close.

    ReplyDelete
  6. How beautiful! I love visiting the beach (we are far far away from one). I once was friends through work with someone who lived at the tip of Long Island and worked in Manhattan. I couldn't fathom what it took her to commute to work each day and the many different types of transportation she had to use!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my goddess, how stunning I love the lighthouse and the framed image of the lighthouse though the barrier. Wow, wow, wow...
    https://theroadtobeingapublishedwriter.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday