Blogging from A to Z — the letter K

 No, I’m not using “kitten”. Though my kitten does make me happy.

No, today I want to talk about Kabbalah.

You know, Jewish mysticism.

Traditionally the study of Kabbalah was reserved for older men.  Men who were were versed in scripture, who had spent a lifetime studying Torah and Talmud.  It was thought that the mysteries of Kabbalah were too complex and could easily be misunderstood by younger men.  Women were not scholars and therefore were not permitted to study Kabbalah.

And then, in the early 2000’s, Kabbalah suddenly became cool.  Hollywood celebrities had discovered the Kabbalah Centre, and suddenly everyone was wearing red string bracelets to ward off the evil eye.

I think that’s what sparked my curiosity.  What was being taught in Hollywood wasn’t traditional Kabbalah.  In fact, while the practice at the center incorporated many Jewish concepts and practices, it wasn’t exclusively Jewish. But my interest led me to modern Jewish spirituality.

Traditional Judaism focuses on ritual.  There are rituals to be practiced in the synagogue — we sing hymns and recite prayers.  And there are rituals for the home — we light candles on the Sabbath and during Hanukkah, we hold a Seder on Passover.   Kabbalah is a meditative practice meant to supplement traditional rituals.  

Meditation  has become a significant component of Jewish practice.  The Institute for Jewish Spirituality  teaches practitioners how to “cultivate mindfulness, deepen connection and enliven Jewish life”.  

Yes, they used the word “mindfulness”.  They offer all sorts of programs — texts to study, guided meditations, discussion forums, podcasts, classes, retreats.  They send daily inspiration emails, and offer daily meditation sessions and weekly yoga sessions on YouTube.  

Since 1999, IJS has been a leader in teaching traditional and contemporary Jewish spiritual practices that cultivate mindfulness so that each of us might act with enriched wisdom, clarity, and compassion. These practices, grounded in Jewish values and thought, enable participants to develop important skills while strengthening leadership capacities, deepening their inner lives, and connecting more meaningfully with others, Judaism, and the sacred.”

I was first introduced to this type of practice at my synagogue.  We hired a teacher to lead guided meditations.  I really enjoyed the sessions, one of the things I really missed when I moved to another community and allowed my membership to lapse.

The practice reminded me of the mindfulness meditation techniques that you find elsewhere, techniques so common that you find them in apps like Calm and Breethe and Headspace, even on Fitbit.   I have used some of those apps, of course.

But when you add a layer of Jewish theology to the meditation… when you use Jewish imagery, Hebrew chants and prayers, enhances the meditation experience and brings it to a new level.

The sessions begin with a short talk about scripture, but in a different way than it might be discussed in a traditional synagogue setting.  Next is the meditation — get comfortable, breathe deeply, become aware of your body, clear your mind …and then follow the teacher as he/she directs your thoughts, provides images … 

I don’t meditate as often as I should, but I think it’s made a difference.  It keeps me grounded, calmer, focused.  So thank you, Hollywood celebrities, for bringing me to this place.


Comments

  1. My parents went to an Orthodox synagogue when I was young, and I can remember being up in the balcony behind curtains with the other women and girls. Instant dislike! I also went to a sleepaway camp in New Jersey for four years that included mandatory Shabbas services in Hebrew that were the most boring thing ever. Despite this, I received no religious education, was never bas mitzvah and never participated in Jewish life as an adult. What you describe is something totally different and something I was not aware of at all. Alana ramblinwitham.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I sat on the board of my synagogue, one thing we focused on was how to make Judaism and Jewish practice modern, interesting and relevant. This was one aspect of our modernization plan.

      Delete
  2. Jewish mysticism meets New Age. As someone who was raised New Age, I get where some of that came from. Sounds fascinating (although I'll stick with my usual meditation techniques).

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's lovely when we find right-fit inspirations that help us expand, and that sounds like that's been the case for you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember when Kabbalah became cool and celebrities were wearing red string bracelets. Cultural appropriation...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Religion or religious practice should move with the times to make it relevant. It sounds as if your synagogue is achieving that.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I first heard about Kabbalah in relation to Madonna when she made it cool.

    Ronel visiting for K:
    My Languishing TBR: K
    King of the Underworld: Hades

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It’s all coming back to me now

DISboards nonsense

Music Monday